Home Buying in Staten Island>Question Details

Alexnova, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

How do I know if the house is right for me ? What determines a perfect first home ?

Asked by Alexnova, Staten Island, NY Mon Jul 11, 2011

Answers

11
Since it's your first home, settle for one that is right for you.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 12, 2011
Buying a first home can feel frustrating at times. It is definitely one of the biggest transactions of your life and can't be taken lightly. The anxiety of wanting to do the right thing for your family can often be overwhelming. Having a good agent that you feel you can trust and can guide you through the entire process can really help alleviate the frustration. The majority of my buyers are first time buyers. They seem to gravitate to me & I like working with them because at the end of the day I love the idea that I actually helped someone through a difficult process. I have a whole bunch of theories on how to find a perfect first home but if I posted them on here I'd be giving all my secrets away ;) give me a call when you get a chance & I'll help you find that needle in the haystack. Annmarie Triolo 917-836-1594
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 12, 2011
What determines a perfect first home? The correct question is, "Who determines a perfect first home?"

And the answer is: you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 11, 2011
A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body.
Home is the place where it feels right to walk around without shoes
Home is where you can scratch where it itches
For me, it is instinct. I saw this beautiful house a while back that was a forclosure and I cried when it was sold. It just came back onto the market and I can't stop thinking about it! I'm in love with a house.. haha
Hi Alexnova,

This is a question only you can answer, but to give you an idea what other first time home buyers are thinking about when choosing their first perfect home. The first thing you need to know is that there isn't a perfect home at all. You can get close to a perfect home by first determining affordability, than you need to evaluate key fectors for example and not in any particular order: 1- number of bedrooms, 2- location. 3- Schools. 4- Transportation. 5- Commute time. 6- Shopping etc... When you combine all of these factors together, it will be your close to perfect first home.
The perfect home is a matter of personal preferences, does the property/area suit your wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.; will you be happy living there...
First and foremost Alexnova, you should go to a reputable lender to discuss your financial situation (income, debts, available funds, credit etc.) so that you know what price range would be comfortable and realistic for you. This would make the whole process easier both for you and your real estate agent when searching for your first home. Next, very simple, THEN, make a list of all the things you want in your first home. For example, possibly coming from an apartment you'd like more bedrooms, extra closets, etc. Also, as you go to visit houses you'll start to see the things that you absolutely have to have and certain things you can do without. I have worked with a lot of 1st time buyers and would be happy to help you if you'd like.

Deborah Bracco
Appleseed Homes
718-619-5701
Consider this long established saying, "Beauty (and utility) are in the eyes of the beholder."
Mac nailed it! It really is that simple.

What are your criteria? Find the house that meets your criteria.
Alexnova,
This is like picking the perfect partner. There is someone out there for everyone, and someplace for everyone. No place is perfect, but you want to figure out which home is the closest to perfection for you.
I did a blog post about home buying that goes into this in great detail. I've set up a link to it below. It was part of a long series of steps to home buying. I hope this helps.