Home Buying in Healdsburg>Question Details

Stephan, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

How do I know if I should offer more or less than the listing price in Healdsburg?

Asked by Stephan, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 23, 2007

Is there a difference if I'm looking for a single family home versus a condo, or some other type of property?

Answers

4
Renz Hoppe’s answer
The real estate market in Healdsburg follows the national, statewide and local trends to a large extent with some exceptions. Which means that negotiating a favorable purchase price is extremely important in a soft or declining market. The town is, however, very appealing to people that are looking for a week-end/vacation home, a second home or an investment property. Prices for properties that have the characteristics these out-of-town buyers are looking for (charm, location, views, etc.) will sell quickly and a premium prices.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 23, 2007
Stephan, This market defies most logical approaches to evaluation and both Buyers and Sellers in a quandry, as our their Realtor/Licensees. I meet with homebuyers flush with the idea of getting a tremendous deal on real estate as the media is shouting foreclosure, prices slashed, desperate sellers and then they come face to face with a bank owned property which has 15 offers on it and I tell them they must OVERBID to get it!! HUH? Lesson learned--there is NO set forumulae for negotiating an offer in this maketplace. Your Real Estate PRO is the person who can demonstrate to you the differing price segments, what constitutes a great deal and which property really is a DAWG!! (sic).
Hi Stephan..Alise is right in her answer below--purchase prices relative to listing prices really varies by price point. Also, a lot depends on how the property is initially offered for sale, is the list price too ambitious or is it priced to attract a lot of active buyers? How does the property show? Is it de-cluttered and staged? The more accurately a property is priced, the better it shows, and the more marketing exposure it gets, the more likely it is to sell closer to asking. I saw a country property the other day priced at just over a million dollars but it showed SO poorly that I told my buyers we could probably get away with a much lower offer than if it was literally just cleaned up and weeded because it was such a turnoff to many buyers. My blog contains a lot more market updates for Sonoma county real estate.
Hi Stephan,
It is a buyers market right now in the 800k and below price ranges, which means in many cases offers are being made below asking price. In the higher price ranges, if a property is very clean and in a desirable area with acreage we are seeing them sell at list price. So it depends on what you are looking for but it is a great time to buy and I can help you find the best house for the best price, I live and work in Healdsburg. Call me at 707-280-6523.
Web Reference: http://www.alisesheehan.com