Home Buying in Park Slope>Question Details

J.P., Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

How do I know if I should offer more or less than the listing price in Park Slope?

Asked by J.P., Tampa, FL Mon Apr 23, 2007

Is there a difference if I'm looking for a single family home versus a condo, or some other type of property?

Answers

2
HouseHunt’s answer
Your offer should not be based on anything but what you can afford and your perceived value. Don't just offer lower b/c you think you can. Educate yourself on the market, the area, sold listings (within the last 6 months) then figure how much actual repair needs to be done - no not paint, not the tile, not personal touches - those things DO NOT affect a homes value... however, the property mechanicals (Water, Electric, Heat, Foundation, Bolier, Pipes, Roof, Walls) all matter, and any necessary and obvious repairs should be discounted from the price. Bring in an appraiser - your own - to get an idea of what is affecting the homes value. Look I am not saying that Marble tile, granite countertops don't raise the home value - but if they are green or black has no bearing on waht yo should offer. Maybe you hate marble? that's life... it should not affect your offer on the house - seriously.
You should make an offer as close to the listing price a you see fit, calculating your finances, your interest in the property, and the degree of competition from other buyers. In the curren market conditions, a successful offer may well equal the listing price, but be aware tht every situation is the sum of the buyer's ability and desire on the hand, and the seller's willingness to sell at a given price.