darcymgarcia, Home Buyer in Hartsdale, NY

How do I get my ex-husbands name off of my co-op stock?

Asked by darcymgarcia, Hartsdale, NY Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

5
A change in stock requires the Board to approve. Speak to your building's management firm. If you have a mortgage for your stock, you will need to refinance it if your ex is on it. The mortgage lender holds your stock certificate and would not allow a change if you are both on the mortgage.
You will have to have his name removed from the stock and overlease. You should consult with an attorney and your managing agent to see if you will need to get board consent as well. If you have a mortgage you will either get approval from the bank, or you may need to refinance.
Hi Darcy,

You need to have the coop's managing agent issue a new stock certificate and lease which will need your ex-husband's consent. Also, if you have a loan, you will need the lender's consent.

Michael Richman
Licensed Real Estate Associate Broker
KIAN Realty
450 7th Avenue Suite 1501
New York, NY 10123
212-757-8268 x223
917-991-2528
mrichman@kianrealtynyc.com
You will most likely have to re-finance, hopefully you can. I would also check with the coop managment directly, they will give the most accurate info.

Chris
Consult with your attorney, don't simply rely on online information...