Agustin J He…, Home Buyer in Schererville, IN

How do I find out if a property has backed taxes . Also, can any property such as foreclosure, financed, for sale by owner have backed taxes.

Asked by Agustin J Hernandez, Schererville, IN Fri Mar 25, 2011

Answers

3
You can go to the public records at the county level. I however suggest you go to a local title company and have them run a complete title search on the property. They will check for taxes and other liens and judgements on the property.
If this property is bank owned and you are buying it through a Realtor all of this work should be handled in the transaction and the owners title insurance should protect you after you buy the property of any liens popping up.
If you are not familiar with purchasing on your own call a local REALTOR to assist.
You can simply check with teh town or city tax collector for the amount property taxes as well as any water or sewer liens on the property. If a house is sold at foreclsoure auction, the buyer is responsible for all back taxes and liens. if teh bank takes it back and then lists it for sale, all back taxes and liens are paid off when solkd to a new buyer.

please see my blog with tips and advice for buying bank owned homes.
You can go to this Lake County website and search the address. You should be able to see what is owed along with any penalties.

http://in-lake-treasurer2.governmax.com/collectmax/collect30…

Michael