Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Susan Morris…, Real Estate Pro in Austin, TX

How do I find out if a property I want to purchase that is residential qualifies for commercial conversion? I live in Austin, TX

Asked by Susan Morrison Sattler, Austin, TX Tue Aug 28, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Jeffrey Nyland’s answer
Start with the Austin Rezoning Department. They used to be South of the River and they would have the step x step process and details. Having a property rezoned is a simple process, just a few hurdles so don't be afraid to go for it!

Jeffrey Nyland, REALTOR®, GRI, SRS, ABR
The Nyland Team
Prudential Texas Realty
512-626-8552 (Direct)
512-267-3640 (Fax)
Jeffrey Nyland TX AUC# 16644
Exceeding Expectations!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Good suggestions from the others. In my personal experience it is likely you'll need a team of professionals to do the conversion. An important part of the team will be a Realtor. I found the city of Austin to be "unhelpful" to me trying to do it myself. I wasted many months and tens of thousands of dollars. I was not Realtor at that time.
Best wishes!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Susan, Ronald has the correct "starting point" at the City's site. The City has an interactive GIS map that shows the zoning classifications and more importantly, current uses for properties. There is also a cross reference grid in the zoning ordinance that shows allowable uses within a zoning designation. Most inner city properties fall into designated neighborhood plans (also available on the City's web site) that ultimately will guide the use of a property. If the residential property is located in an area of the plan that is not recommended for commercial use, you will have to get the neighborhood plan authors to support you for any planned zoning changes.
Good luck!.

Charles Fisk, AIA, NCARB
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Susan, you can go to the official site here: http://www.austintexas.gov/development/zoning

to check on a specific property and what kind of zoning the neighborhood has. If it's mixed use of commercial and residential, for example, then it's easy for the specific property to switch zones. Where you're likely to run into problems will be in neighborhoods with strong neighborhood associations that are strongly against change. In any event, the place to start is the link I provided.

Ron Cullinan
Avalar Austin

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer