Home Buying in Oakland>Question Details

Nizar, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

How do I find a trustworthy Realtor?

Asked by Nizar, Oakland, CA Sat May 31, 2014

I'm a potential first time home buyer renting in San Francisco. I've been reading and researching, and have found interesting tips about not working directly with a Realtor who is also representing the seller. I know my budget, down payment, credit score, number of rooms, and overall characteristics I'm looking for, and Oakland seems to be the city of choice.

What next? How do I get started? What should I look out for?

Thanks!

Answers

6
Most people seem to be recommending referrals to find a good realtor. That's a great way to do it, but if you don't have any friends or family in the area, then I'd recommend online review sites like Yelp. That way you can at least get an idea of the realtor before hiring them. My only other piece of advice would be to trust your instincts. http://www.lvlrealtors.com
Start by hiring an Exclusive Buyer's Agent. EBAs are consumer advocates for the homebuyer, and there is no additional cost to you for their services. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

Don't Let The Make a Monkey Out of You! Follow the link below.

Alysse Musgrave
Consumer Advocate
Exclusive Buyer's Broker
HelpUBuyAmerica.com
NS: If you have not yet found an agent, the best way to find a 'trustworthy' and professional agent is to ask for referal from friends and associates.
Yelp and Trulia reviews are great ways to do research, as well.
You should definitely get pre approved with a lender first. You can either find a realtor first, and they can refer you to a lender or mortgage broker that can get you pre approved, or you can get pre approved first then find a realtor. Either way, get pre approved before you go out looking at homes, that way you will know exactly what you can afford and that you are able to get a loan. Let me know if you need a referral. We have an office in the Bay area.
Go in to a real estate company and speak in person with an agent. Many agents are too busy to do rentals but a lot of agents will work with you. On a rental there is really nothing the matter with working with the listing agent unlike buying a home where you want your own representation. However if you find an agent to work with then they can set you up with a rental search. Sometimes newer agents are eager to assist with a rental, you many consider someone like that. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 31, 2014
Great Question. The answer is as varied as the person responding. I would suggest asking friends, colleagues and family who they used. If you can get any references from your personal network that is ideal. You can also review sites like Trulia and Yelp which offer recommendations and reviews of agents,

I suggest meeting with at least a couple of Realtors. Have each show you a few properties, and just notice how they answer your questions, what they seem to know about the neighborhoods, whether they answer your calls, etc. Trust your instincts and who you feel best listens to your concerns and needs.

Some agents in their first year may do a better job than the busy, seasoned agent who delegates his business to assistants.

Wishing you good luck and hoping you find the right Realtor for you.