Home Buying in Orange>Question Details

Angela Noelle…, Home Buyer in Brea, CA

How do I find a home that has a mother in law quarters or guest house in back yard?

Asked by Angela Noelle Guevara, Brea, CA Tue Feb 26, 2013

Or big enough space to build one.....for aging parent.

Answers

14
There are several ways to approach this question!

The biggest determinator is how much you can afford to pay. A home with a DETACHED guesthouse requires a big lot. For instance, the city of Yorba Linda requires a 15,000 sqft lot (when I last checked) to build a maximum 1250 sqft guesthouse. Villa Park has similar requirements. In addition, there are setback requirements.

Land is expensive in OC ... and so the prices for such properties will be relatively expensive also.
How expensive usually depends on the size, location, age and amenities of the main house. There are not very many of these properties but they do come on the market.

Occasionally, you will see a house on a large lot where the owners have minimized building cost by simply adding on downstairs square footage designed to be separate guest quarters. These homes also come on the market ... but not very often.

You may also consider a home where a second story has been added containing a large Master bedroom suite. The original master is still down stairs. This arrangement might work for you.
OIr, you might look for a home with a master bedroom downstairs and construct your own upstairs Master suite. But here you get into current cost of construction and the time required to build.

Your home search opens up a bit if you are willing to build your own guest house. Then you have only to look for a home you like with a suitable lot. You would also have to be absolutely sure that the city will approve your plans before you purchase the property. Given the cost of new construction these days, this is probably the most expensive option. It would also take time to build. Better to find it all in place.

If you will send me a private Email explaining your situation and requirements in detail, including price range, I will thoroughly search the available listings that might meet your needs .... and send them on to you for review. I know the whole North Orange County area very well as I have been a Realtor here for a long, long time!

Marlene Prescott
Prudential CA Realty
714-283-6643
marlenepre@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
I'd start by looking for single family homes with lots 6,000sqft and above. Over 7000 would really be more ideal. Also, I'd talk to the cities building and or planning departments. They can be very helpful with regards to their specific requirements for building one. Lastly, as others have mentioned, a Realtor can usually do more specific filtered searches that many home search sites aren't setup to do. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2013
I don't know because I have been searching for about an hour and one-half and even though I put in Columbia, SC real estate with mothers-in-law-suite, but get NOTHING. It is really frustrating!
looking for a home with guest house or mother in laws quarter. 4 bed/3 baths in Ft Myers Fl
Are you looking to purchase a home in Brea? I am a realtor in Camarillo, CA and if you ever want to move this way I can enter a search for this type of home. Otherwise contact a local agent and they can do that for you. Good Luck!

Blanca Dover, REALTOR
Century21 Hometown Realty

Website: http://www.blancadover.com
Web Reference: http://www.blancadover.com
Good question and the answer is you start by contacting an agent who is in the area. They will know what is on the market. They will work hard to find what fits your needs. You can locate an agent by visiting http://www.realtor.org Good Luck
Ask an agent to set up a search that will include these items for you
We have a similar client that has the same need. Contact us at 714-771-3800 for the complete list of homes in orange county. You can benefit from their similar need.
Scott Fredrickson
PacWest Properties
Go to http://www.pacwestforeclosures.com and you can find several properties that fit your need. If you are have any questions call 714-771-3800 and they would be able to walk you through it
Lot of good answers here. I would recommend you work with a Realotr. These are not standard searches that can be automated...
A Realtor will be really help you.

Thanks. You can always contact me if you like.
Mikepatel.com
you already have some great answers, just one thing that you might consider would be a duplex or two houses on one lot. Find an agent you like, and stick with them to find what will work for you.

I would be happy to help you find a home that fits your criteria (with a guest house in the back).

Please contact me at (310) 717-1321 or JamieTian@RodeoRE.com and explain your search criteria in more detail (areas you are looking at, number of bedrooms, budget, etc) and I would be happy to send you a list of available properties and set up appointments for you to view any that you are interested in at no cost.

Feel free to contact me anytime with questions or concerns.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: http://www.JamieTian.com
There are a lot of homes with mother-in-law quarters in Orange & Fullerton ~ I'd be happy to help!
HI im looking for place for my self and small dog in fullerton/anaheim mother low place or back house eith bcak yard
Flag Tue Jan 28, 2014
I would start by finding a real estate agent located in the area you are looking to move to and have him/her search for this type of home.