Chris, Home Buyer in New York, NY

How do I find HOA detals if the listing doesn't say? Also, how can we see history of maintenance/issues (it looks a little under kept). Thanks!

Asked by Chris, New York, NY Sat Nov 24, 2012

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3087588294-4142-E-Calle-Redon…

Answers

11
I would have your agent get the HOA contact info and call directly to find out exact details.If you don't have an agent I'd call a local title company to dig up that information for you. History of maintenance/issues would be shown on the spds(seller property disclosure statement).
The Arizona Multiple Listing Service requires that the listing display the HOA management company if they have one. From there you can call up the HOA and request the documents. Most management companies have the documents online or can email the PDFs to you if that works. Your best solution is to have your agent get that information for you so that you know what you are getting into before you purchase.

Once you are under contract the HOA or management company (depending on the size of the community) will send you those documents to review during your 10-day due diligence period.
A few months ago my husband and I sold our home in Colorado and it was a bit difficult getting the HOA documents needed for our buyer. A family friend referred us to http://www.associationonline.com. They were a huge help in making sure we had all the right documents and the information met the state disclosure requirements. I was able to get the whole package together easily by the contract deadline. I don’t think the process could get much easier than the software and service provided by Association Online. You should visit their website or call (970)-226-1324. They’re a great help for homeowners nationwide.
Contact HOA directly and get copy of CC&R's along with any future liens or assessments that will be added proportionately to the owners in the association. In the AZ contracts there will be a HOA addendum and information in regards to amount monthly or quarterly etc, but always investigate the corporation running the HOA, because in my experience that make a HUGE difference in the community.
You can contact your title company that you have built a relationship with and ask them to research for you. You can also look for it thru the city records.
The Arizona real estate purchase agreement that all Realtors in Arizona use requires the HOA to provide you with a copy of the CC&R, Bylaws and any additional important information needed to make an informed decision about purchasing the property you have under contract. If you disagree with any of the information provided by the HOA, then you can cancel the transaction and get your earnest money back.

Receiving this information before hand will be costly for you especially in our competitive market so it would be advised to get the property under contract before giving any HOA your money. You or your realtor can call the HOA to ask simple questions like what does the HOA maintain, if rental homes are allowed, RV parking, etc.

After visiting the property and there is visible deferred maintenance, then you will want to ask the HOA if they plan to fixed the deferred maintenance of the community or the unit you are considering purchasing. The community might have a high percentage of foreclosure or non-paying resident in the community. I would proceed with caution if there is deferred maintenance and you are unable to get a clear answer from the HOA.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance with your home search.

Sean Heideman, Broker / Owner
Position Realty
Office: 480-213-5251
Web Reference: http://positionrealty.com
This home is located in an HOA and the dues according to the lsiting are $266 per month. This would be confirmed once the HOA disclosures are provided to you during the closing process. Maintenance invoices may be included with the the Seller's Property Disclosure Statement if the seller provides these items during the inspection period. When are you available to see this home?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
HOA's play their cards very close to the vest:
Some HOAs are sophisticated corporations that really know what they are doing.
Some HOAs are comprised of a bunch of residents; with a goal of protecting their feifdom and having their jollys.
They will seldom tell the Listing Realtor anything and they will charge us and you for a copy of their CCR's.
I strongly recommend visiting the park if you are considering living there: The HOA can make your purchase a real regrettable thing. You can walk around and talk to residents and learn a lot about living there, the management, the fees, etc.
You probably will not any disclosures specifically about the HOA, so you need to do your diligence.
Chrs there is only so much room on the MLS sheet, most often you will have monthly fee and what is included in the HOA. The best way is to ask the listing agent for details. you should review the bylaws, rules and last 2 month minutes from their monthly meetings. As far as maintenance is it exterior where the HOA usually maintains or the interior whoch the home owner maintains. Again the agent can go over that with your easily
You can contact the HOA directly and ask them any questions that you have. Your Realtor should be able to do this for you. You should also look at the HOA's financial statement to see if they are under funded or not. There might be a special assessment coming up if they are under funded and in need of repairs. I always recommend going to a HOA meeting before buying in a community.
The HOA information is part of the MLS so your agent should be able to provide you with some details. During your inspection/due diligence phase you will have an opportunity to do an inspection, review seller disclosures and ask to see a CLUE report (insurance claims filed against the property). The title company will also send you HOA documents giving you another opportunity to disapprove of the property if you find material facts that don't align with your expectations. Your agent will guide you through all the phases of the purchase.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012