Suzy, Other/Just Looking in Sonoma County, CA

How different are the values for houses in developments (like Christopherson homes) vs. houses in more established areas in Healdsburg?

Asked by Suzy, Sonoma County, CA Thu Jun 10, 2010

I have been doing a lot of research online, and am seeing houses like 1549 Rosewood (fairly large, listed in the $400,000s) as well as houses like 824 Josephine, for sale in the $500,000s. Are houses in the more suburban developments generally worth less?

Answers

5
Hi Suzy,
Properties located close to the Healdsburg Plaza list at a premium. Powell Avenue has historically been the divider for walking distance to the Plaza. We have been trying to break that perception because there are areas north of town like Rosewood for example that have many excellent choices and is 1 mile to the Plaza.
I am hosting an open house at 216 Lorraine Ct on Sunday, July 4th from 12-3. Stop by, I will give you more information on the area.
Ann Amtower
Hello Suzy,

You know the old saying...location, location, location. In this case, that's why you see the price difference. However, you should get a knowledgable Realtor to get you accurate comps as their may be foreclosures, short sales and such in the area which may also be bringing down the prices. If you like, I'd be happy to generate comps for you on any property of your choice.

Kamal Randhawa
Broker
510-932-1066
Suzy,

Very important factors to consider:

What is the motivation of the seller?
Are they in financial distress?
What about the neighborhood?
Are there a lot of NOD's? (Notices of Default?)...on the way towards foreclosure.

When a home goes back to the bank via a foreclosure, it can have a negative ripple effect throughout the neighborhood and becomes the new "Sold Comp" and bring down values.

Find out if the neighborhood values are declining or appreciating.

Hire a great agent that you know is an expert and has your best interest at heart and have them provide you with the information you need in order to be comfortable enough to decide whether or not to make an offer.

Healdsburg is and has been a very desirable community and the statistics will bear out that the average income is far greater than many, many communities and that people "chose" to live in Healdsburg, much like they do in Sebastopol, Occidental and many more of our great spots within Sonoma County.

Michael

A moment ago -
There are very few housing 'developments' in Healdsburg. One called Parkland Farms is on the oouuter reaches of the north end of town, and houses in that development, though still selling, and newer, have experienced a larger reduction in value than those closer into the center of town. Healdsburg is a small town and all about walkability. For example, the house on Josephine is an easy walk to the downtown Plaza, stores, and restaurants. Houses within a walkable radius of town, which tend to be older, hold their value, and sell for a higher price per square foot. If you are newer home buyer, then you are in luck, because there are some screaming deals in the Parkland Farms area. Any houses with a horse theme, Apaloosa, Arabian, Stirrup Loop, etc. are in that vicinity. The house on Rosewood is a short sale and this accounts, in part, for the reduced price on this property.
Christopherson Homes built the Verandas in 1994 and my guess for the prices being lower in the suburban developments is because those homes were built prior to 1994.Generally the entire area of Healdsburg is very desirable so I would not think the homes would depreciate in price for being farther out of the city limits I would tend to think that it is more of just the mix of homes that happen to be be on the market right now .I have seen just the opposite occure in the past.I wish I could have more information for you at this time feel free to contact me if you wish I can be reached toll free at 1-877-870-2676 .Jeffrey Martino Young at Essex Mortgage Bank in Santa Rosa,