Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Gaper, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

How common are termites in San Francisco?

Asked by Gaper, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 20, 2008

We are in the process of reviewing disclosures for a 25 year old condo complex. In the disclosures we found that there has been termite activity/treatment in some of the units (not our specific unit). From looking at the HOA documents, they have a healthy reserve, and it seems like they have been pro active in treating any pest issues as well as taking preventative measures (repairing dry rot, etc). Is this fairly common to find termite history for a building of this age in the Bay Area?

Answers

3
Gaper:

I commend you for taking a good look at the HOA documents and noting the reserves. It is a good sign that the HOA has been proactive and taking preventative measures. Termite activity is inevitable in most homes in San Francisco and there are many excellent termite companies to choose from. I recommend Lingruen or Markoff for any work that needs to be done. They are thorough and fair.

Jenn
Web Reference: http://www.jenndavis.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2008
Good advice from Jenn & Chris. It does seem that the HOA is on top of issues. My experience is that SF doesn't have a large termite problem, I see more dry rot and wood boring beetles than termites.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Condominiums, especially if they are a large number of units, generally have a monitoring and abatement program associated with their management company for pests, mold, and termites. The fact that you found that the HOA is active in monitoring and acting against these pests shows they are working their program.

Termites, and the evidence of their activities working against a building, are common in SF. There are other MORE common pests that assault SF homes and buildings, namely boring beetles and mold are things you'll see more reports of.