Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Movingalong, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

How can you tell which area has no deed restrictions?

Asked by Movingalong, Houston, TX Sun May 22, 2011

Answers

11
Ask a title company or pay a title attorney. Deed restrictions would be attached to the title.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 22, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
we live in a community of farm and half acres etc. we have a person trying to buy an acre of property and build 4 homes on it. we have a hearding on tuesday. What can we do to prevent this. it is an old community, plumbing an issue already. What can we do to stop the build of property which does not following what this community is about
We are not in the city limits of Houston, but has a Houston address., Pay County taxes, not city taxes
Can a landowner build a sandpit or landfill plant in our residential neighborhood. if not, how do protest the site development.
I am thinking of buying an 18 wheedler truck and will want to park at at home, with out restrictions from my community.not. So I am looking for a house that has a good size lot near the 1960 area. I prefer a house not a trailer home and with a water well and septic system if possible
Many areas have no deed restrictions or zoning rules all across the 8 county Houston area. In our MLS system, listing agents note under "restrictions" if there are deed restrictions and other factors in an area for a particular property, building or lot. You tell your Realtor other factors like location, price and what type of property...but include "no deed restrictions" and we start to search for you.

I guess I have a question for you. Why are you looking for a "no deed restriction" area? Are you planning on building a business? Storing your RV at your home? Raising a few horses or simply not interested in asking for permission to paint your home Red, White and Blue?!!! Reasons for your search can help the Realtor a great deal in finding the perfect property for you. Speak to us in full confidence your "secrets" will not be revealed to the seller or other parties.

Let us know if we can create a custom search for you.

Mark McNitt
Bernstein Realty
m 832-567-4357
checking out options for building a personal music studio with living quarters. Want to build a contemporary design.
Flag Sat Jun 28, 2014
You can ask a real estate salespersons who is a member of the local association to search for homes in their database that do not have deed restrictions in the price range & features you want. Your real estate professional would be your best point person.
The city of Houston has no zoning. However, in looking at the greater Houston area, there are other incorporated municipalities within the legal boundaries of Houston. For instance, all the "Memorial Villages" are surrounded by Houston, but are not in the city limits, nor is Bellaire, West University Place or Southside Place, to name a few. With the exception of some very old neighborhoods developed before WW II, virtually all subdivions have deed restrictions, but vary greatly in content and scope. A Realtor who is experienced in the area you interested in can be of enormous help to you. I will be happy to direct you to such a person in that area. 713-594-1574.
Web Reference: http://www.JamieBarrere.com
You will need to go into one of the counties that surrounds Harris County to locate residential properties that are referred to as unrestricted.And even those are few and far between.

Larry Stovall
Hi

--Don Tepper is correct- you should contact a title company to find areas which have no deed restrictions. Houston has little or no zoning so that is easier to work with. Most subdivisions in Houston have restrictions especially any area with a homeowners association.

Best of luck to you

Nanci
In Houston, that's a difficult task. In planned subdvisions, they are few and far between. Generally the older neighborhoods won't have them, but you have to be careful. Have an experienced and knowledgable agent work for you and they'll find it if it can be found.

Amber Carrillo, Broker Associate
Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate
Every subdivision is different. Let me know what area your are interested and can found out. Call me at 281-905-4281