Lj, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

How can you make an offer on a house without an Agent?

Asked by Lj, Los Angeles, CA Sun Sep 30, 2007

What if I want to offer below asking? Is there a form I can download online? I live in Los Angeles, CA and appreciate the insight.

Answers

40
I just purchased my first house without an agent after going through an extensive, offer-counter-offer-negotiation period with the seller and the seller's agent. It is definitely doable, especially with all the great resources online for finding homes and learning about the real estate transaction process, however, I must say that it is not for everyone.

I have a finance background and am a transactions attorney so the process was relatively easy for me. As far as legal documents go, the documents used in a typical residential sales transaction are extremely simplistic and easy to use. Running a CMA is very easy to do as well if you know where to look online. And of course, no one will advocate for your rights as much as you, yourself would.

Ultimately, both buyer and seller's agent want to get paid. That is the bottom line. The higher the price you pay for your house, the more both agents get. So your agent, in a sense, will have an inherent conflict of interests to start with. However, I do think an agent is useful to guide you through the process, though I would have to agree that 3% is too much.

If you are using an agent I would suggest using one that will give you back half or more of the 3%, especially in this market.

And as pointed out, no one works for free. We were able to work a deal with the seller's agent where we reduced the purchase price by 3% because we were not using a real estate agent.

Ultimately, buying a house by yourself, like almost anything else, is doable on your own. However it will take a lot of time and effort and you will have to do a lot of research to make sure you understand the ins and outs of a real estate transaction. Good luck whatever you choose.
Hi Lj. Let me say up front that I'll not bore you with a longwinded explanation why I think you should not buy a house without a real estate agent representing you.

If the house you want to buy is listed with an real estate brokerage, buying without representation is not common as the listing agent and the seller have an agreement for commission and the total commission is due to the listing agent whether or not the buyer is represented. So if I were the seller, I would want the buyer to be represented because that's what was the intent when the seller and listing agent negotiated the total commission (usually half is earmarked for the buyer's agent).

So now you come and you want to make an offer below asking price and your rationale is that you want to offer less because you don't need or want an agent to represent you. To the seller it means that he proably will end up with the same amount of money, but he is dealing with an unrepresented buyer, which could mean trouble during the escrow. I don't mean any offense to you, but the common perception is that unrepresented buyers are more difficult than represented buyers. I am not taking a position on whether that's true or not.
For the listing agent, an unrepresented buyer also often means that the listing agent ends up doing double work, but gets only paid half of the commission if he agrees to renegotiate the commission with the seller in light of the offer from an unrepresented buyer.

It's not so much a matter what form you use to write up the offer. IT's a matter of convincing the listing agent that it's in the client's best interest that he reduce his commission so that the seller can accept a below asking price offer from an unrepresented buyer. I have no words of wisdom for you there as I don't know you and therefore don't know if it's a good or bad idea for the seller and listing agent to entertain such a proposal.

If you can convince everybody that it's in the seller's best interest to deal with you directly, then the listing agent can provide you with the necessary form and he'll most likely will require you to sign a form that acknowledges that he does not represent you.

If the house is not listed by a brokerage, you can buy one of the self-help books or you can also call a title and escrow company and they maybe able to assist you with the paperwork. I honestly, don't know exactly how it's done when there are no agents involved, but I think a title company would be able to at least point you in the right direction as they must have run into this kind of a situation before. Good luck to you.
Web Reference: http://www.go2kw.com
6 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in New Castle, DE
If you have to ask questions like these, you really need an agent!
If you have:
• Ability to read & write in English
• Basic math skills
• Basic knowledge of the market / how to estimate the cost of a house
• Basic negotiation skills
• Basic organizational & financial skills
• Know how to find independent resources for home inspection, mortgage lender etc.
• Basic Leadership, Motivation and Guts
Then go for it!
Anyone who is lacking in any of these areas should seek some help. When buying a house the buyer agent / broker will handle all the paperwork for you, help you find out how much you can afford, help you add everything up, check your work, point you to resources for inspection and mortgage, negotiate for you and help babysit / keep you organized if needed.
We started working with a buyer’s agent and the biggest thing lacking was the negotiation skills. This Is understandable because the buyer’s agent has a conflict of interest. On one side they want to get you the best deal, but on the other side they get paid more the more you pay for the house, and they consciously or subconsciously want the deal to go through which means selling at or close to the asking price. This is in direct conflict with the buyer’s goals!
Many people say that the buyer’s agent is paid by the sellers – well guess where the sellers get the money?? – FROM YOU!! Yes it’s a shell game with the money, you put all your money in, and then (arguably) everyone gets paid from that.
In this market (2009) sellers need to be educated that house values have plummeted, and if they want to move their house they’ll have to price it accordingly.
If you want to know about how to buy houses, check out how millionaires shop for used cars as described in the popular book “the millionaire next door” – this book will also teach you how valuable every dollar is each day.
Guest, with your attitude, any homebuying negotiation you entered into would probably go better if you didn't deal directly with a homeowner. Most people hire agents because they don't want to deal directly with the other side. When there is a lot of money involved an arms length transaction is generally the way to go. People's personalities tend to clash. My first home I bought FSBO, I vowed never to do it again. It takes a lot of time and effort to sell a house, there are a lot of things people could try do for themselves but don't because they acknowledge that they don't know as much as a professional does, and their time is better spent doing what they know how to do, and letting someone else do what THEY know how to do. I could do my taxes myself, but I find it tedious and time consuming, and there are many deductions I don't know about. I would rather let a professional handle it, even if---God forbid!--- I have to pay them.
Bond replied, Sylvia, because, if you read his post. he was obviously trolling in order to raise some realtor hackles.
If you get a copy of "house selling/buying for dummies", you'll see that it has a sample of the California purchase contract in it, and lots of explanations of how to go about purchasing without an agent. It's an excellent resource to familiarize yourself with the process.

Whatever you want to offer is up to you, with or without an agent, that's your decision.

If you've done your homework, and feel comfortable with the process, you can certainly purchase a home without the assistance of a real estate agent. If this is the first time you've attempted this, it may not be advisable. I would definitely make sure you engage the services of a good real estate attorney to review all of the paperwork.

Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
How?!?

The best you can.

I would advise my seller to be cautious about considering an offer on a MLS listed property from an unlicensed person.
Hi L,
Don't would be my advise. If you feel you MUST , I would recommend you get your attorney to do it for you. negotiating your own deal is not an easy thing to do. You obviously dont even know the simpliest part of the transact (not trying to be rude here), so why would you want to handle something so important by yourself? If the property is listed, you could work with the listing agent, some people prefer that. Your BEST representaion would be with your own buyers agent. They would be YOUR agent, and would handle not only hte written offer, but the negotiations as well. Once the offer is accepted, there is STILL a lot to do. You may need a mortgage, and an aget can help you get to the right place for than. Perhaps you need referrals for home inspectors, or an attorney, your agent can help with that too. There is a lot of work being done behind the scenes AFTER you have an accepted deal. An agent will.should be the center of that, to help the process allow. Good Luck
I am not an agent, however, from my own personal experience as a consumer, it can be so very helpful to have a licensed real estate agent helping you with negotiations when buying real estate. You could hire a lawyer for the negotiations, but that would be an upfront cost to you compared to using a real estate agent. The seller would, in most cases, pay the real estate agents commission. This can vary from listing to listing, so buyer beware and always do your homework and weigh all options!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
First of all, I am not a real estate agent (and by your question I assume you are not one either). This is a sure-fire way to lose a lot of money.

1) The seller pays the commission; not the buyer. You save nothing by operating without an agent.

2) The law requires numerous disclosures, and each city/county has its own requirements; this is something only an experienced agent knows.

3) If something goes wrong with a transaction (and this occurs at least 50% of the time), you will need an agent between you and the seller to assist with the negotiations.

4) In the rare instance that the property is not listed (i.e. a for-sale-by-owner), the owner is usually experienced and will eat you alive. I would never be "penny wise; pound foolish"; there is lots of money to be made in real estate and being cheap is guaranteed to make you lose.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 25, 2013
My advice to you for your own protection is to hire an agent just to oversee this whole transaction. I understand you don't want to pay any points to anyone, but as a buyer you don't pay anyways, the seller pays the points to both agents(buyer and seller).

I attached a real estate network link with thousands of agents that can help you.
I hope you can find what you are looking for.
Web Reference: http://resocialclub.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
I hear over and over that the seller pays the Realtor commission, But where does the seller get the money to pay the Realtor? From the buyer! so the buyer is actually paying the commission of the seller agent, the commission of the buyer agent and a lot of the other closing cost. Who's bringing the money to the table? the Realtor? the seller? or THE BUYER.
Flag Sun Mar 23, 2014
You can, certainly, make an offer on a property, with our without an agent. The seller, of course, would be ill advised to accept it and even if Seller took the offer, the vast majority of agentless deals fail. You can offer any price you chose for anything under the sun. The question then, will the seller of the article offered, (house, car, second hand clothing, whatever) take the offer seriously. If the seller finds the offer to be anything other than serious, the chances of any followup offers being ignored are pretty good, regardless of the substance of that offer.

There are no decent standard form offers I am aware of on line. I would suggest you contact a lawyer and have one drawn, that suits your needs.

Ken Dorfman, Broker
Kenneth B Dorfman Real Estate
Phone, 888-846-0688
Email, Ken@TheRealEstateOffice.Biz
DRE# 675912
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Thank you for your question. It did open a lot of discusions.
Buyers in California do not need a real estate agent, but they can have one for free. They must hire an escrow company, title or/and a lawyer to complete the trasaction, but not for free.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Buying a home is a very complex legal transaction and there are good reasons why seller's use agent's to market their homes and handle transactions so that all issues of disclosures and a proper contract is drawn up, protects the seller. Needless to say, the buyer, who by the way, doesn't have to even pay the agent, needs similar guidance and advice throughout the process. Agents make offers below asking price all the time, but they have the knowledge of how to prepare an offer and show that it is reasonable. I recommend that you talk to several agents and see how they can help you achieve your goals effectively. Best, Terry Bell, CPS RE, Santa Rosa, CA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
If you do not wants to hire an agent who gets paid by the seller, then you better hire a lawyer to do the job now cheaper than hiring lawyers after you buy without agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
Hello Lj,

Making an offer without an agent is not very wise. Many buyers think all their agent does is write up an offer.

Truth is, buying real esate is a complex porcess that requires vast knowlegde of real estate practices.

You will not get a better buy on the home if you go with out the benefit of represenatation.

As for writting an offer below list, unless you are a cash buyer that too is not a good idea.

As for the forms, only agents have access to CAR forms. You can by a purchase agreement from staples, office depot ect, and use it to write up your offer, but there is a great chance the listing agent as well as the seller will not accpet such an offer.

Please find yourself a buyer's agent, you will be much better off if you do.

Best of luck to you,
Kawain Payne, Realtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Obviously I am biased, but I would NOT make one of the biggest financial decisions of your life without at least consulting with a REALTOR. Can you save 2.5% by doing it yourself...sure! But just think of how much you could have saved with the help of a local REALTOR? Market knowledge, communication and negotiating are just three of the inherent qualities of any good REALTOR. Not to mention all the contract and disclosures. I understand the difficult times we are all facing now, but I feel you will certainly get a MUCH BETTER deal in the end with professional help. I offer my services to anyone interested, and let them decide if they want to hire me.
For a free consultation give me a call: 310-754-8121 or visit my website http://www.ROMANBRUNO.com
-Roman

Roman Bruno
Coldwell Banker
310-754-8121
romanbruno@yahoo.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
One way to make an offer on your own is through BuyerCurious.com. It lets you build, send and negotiate key terms of an offer anonymously online, at no charge. You can either choose to work on your own or to collaborate with an agent or attorney throughout.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 3, 2012
My question to you is why would you want to buy a property without the help of a Realtor*?
Normally the seller pays the commision on the sale of a property.
This allows you to buy a property with the help and services of a professional without any cost in most cases.
The seller normally will not give you a discount on the price if you come to the table to negoiate without representation.
Remember it may not be their first time at selling and they may have a agent working for them.
So doesn't it make sense to come to the table with at least equal or more representation.
Good Luck to you.
Web Reference: http://alaskasfinehomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 5, 2011
It doesn't cost you to have an agent as the seller is paying out the commission regardless. Unless you've had experience making offers and purchasing properties, I strongly recommend contacting an agent to guide you through the process. There are many steps to purchasing a home and ultimately getting to close of escrow. Having an agent on your side with your interests in mind can be important.

Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 5, 2011
Dear Li,
I don't know of a form you can download online and I do not recommend you work without a buyer agent on any home purchase. A buyer agent is the best friend you can have in a home purchase as their loyalty is to protecting your interests alone. It costs you nothing to retain an excellent buyer agent, so why do without?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 22, 2010
On one side they want to get you the best deal, but on the other side they get paid more the more you pay for the house, and they consciously or subconsciously want the deal to go through which means selling at or close to the asking price.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The difference in commission between a 300,000 vs a 310,000 sale is miniscule. At 6%, the agent’s split would be about $150 more. Minus taxes and the franchise fee it would be much less.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 18, 2009
Independant,

I agreed with everything you said except for one thing: although it may appear that buyers agents have a conflict of interest in regards to higher commission for them as opposed to lower price for the buyer, if agents consistently push their buyers toward higher prices, their time in the business would not be long, deservedly so.
Just my opinion.
By the way, this question was asked 2 years ago.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 18, 2009
I kind of figured that, and that's why I deleted my answer.

I spent a lot of time to compose the answer for Lj, but took it out because it is not worth answering the question anymore because Lj does not need what Bond's has resurrected.

And the contract forms he provided? Not CAR forms and I hope it covers all contract related issues the do-it-yourself buyers need - as we know about California, how we like to cover every font, and sadly, the stack of our paper work ended up to be several inches thick at times.

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 29, 2008
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
Hi, Lj - Just deleted my asnwer from today - Noticed your question is from September, 07. Don't know why Bond even bothered to answer at this late date.

It took me a while to compose that answer, if you still need to know it, eitehr reply to Trulia or send me an email via my Trulia profile.

BTW, just in case others wonder, Lj is in L.A. and I am in Marin, I am definitely not trying to get his/her business..

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 29, 2008
A buyer can make an offer in CA without the agent? I'm in NY, so I'm curious. How is that done? No one can make an offer on one of my listings unless it's thru me: I am the exclusive agent. That's the whole point in the seller hiring me: so everything goes thru me and they don't have to deal directly withbuyers. How does the buyer even get in to see the house without the agent?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hi LJ,
Well, as you can see from all the responses below, it might not be your best choice to represent yourself. And you need to ask yourself why? Realtors are friendly people and we have a fiduciary responsibility to our client to get them the best for their money. Also, in this "law happy" state we live in, there is a good reason why each real estate associate must have special insurance, called Errors and Ommissions. Why take that chance when the seller is the one who pays the commission to the agent?
As a last mention, there are books and courses available to real estate professionals on "How to Stay out of Court" and on an on. The paperwork in itself is huge and not something I would want to do myself.
I would be more than happy to represent you.
maureen.ross@era.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2007
LJ, do yourself a big favor and find a buyers agent who will work on your behalf to save you money and a lot of headache. If the seller has no agent, then find an agent who will do the paperwork for for both sides for around 4%. Some agents will work for less, but choose one who knows what there doing because we live in a society where people like to sue each other. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 15, 2007
Sure! You can make an offer on a home without an agent. If you want to make an offer on one of my listings I must write it for you. I will at that point represent buyer and seller, per Real Estate law.

The agreement for commission is between the listing agent and the seller. If you want to offer lower than the asking price, I will present your offer, no matter what it is. It is up to the seller to accept or reject your offer.

You are not contracturally or otherwise entitled to any part of the listings agents commission if you do not use an agent. You do not automatically save anything if you do not use an agent. A Broker can not pay a commission to an unlicensed person.

As a listing agent... if I decide, or not, to credit part of my agreed upon commission to a buyer to put a deal together... that is solely my decision. And at times I will do that to put a deal together and make it fair for both buyer and seller. However, I am under no obligation to do so.

Align yourself with a good real estate agent. Your worry is not the commission but to get the best deal you can. A good agent will ensure that happens for you.

I hope this helps
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
Hi Lj,

You can purchase the contracts you are interested in from the California Association of Realtors and you can try to complete them yourself. However, if the home you are interested in purchasing is being represented by an agent then what is most likely to happen is that the agent representing the seller would represent the seller's interests (as they are supposed to do) and they would collect the full commission being paid for both sides of the transaction.

You might be interested to know that a buyer's agent (who, as others have pointed out already costs you nothing to employ) should be able to help you save more than you might be able to negotiate for yourself. In addition, a licensed agent can also help to ensure that you don't overpay for the home you choose to purchase.

But the most important thing that they do for you is to make sure that your interests are represented and that you have a strong, knowledgable advocate. Your agent also makes sure that all of the timelines are adhered to on both sides of the transaction and that they are realistic, that you receive all of the disclosures you need to receive by law and they should also have a network of service providers available, like a trustworthy home inspector and a good appraiser.

As for making an offer below asking price... here is where a good agent can really help you. By doing a comprehensive CMA (comparative market anaylsis) of the property you are interested in they can help you to determine what a fair offer would be. Sure, you can make an offer for any amount you wish to offer, but it truly is a waste of everyones time (especially yours) if the offer you are making is not one that could be acceptable to the seller's.

When I prepare an offer for my buying client's, I do the same pricing anaylsis that I do for my selling client's. Market appropriate pricing is just that, market appropriate, and a good agent will help you to understand and interpret the market so that you are armed with the knowledge that will protect you when you make your investment.

If you want more information feel free to give me a call at (909) 837-8922.

Take care and have a wonderful day!

Tisza Major-Posner, Realtor, Keller Williams
Web Reference: http://Route66Living.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
I want to offer encouragement to others that it can be done and to not be intimidated by other advice (usually from agents/brokers) that it is a bad idea to make an offer on a house without an agent. Yes, it is a complex process and there is need to be careful, but there is a lot of good information available on the internet to help walk you through the steps of the process.

I think the key points are to consult with a real estate attorney and have them help write up the offer, make sure you read everything carefully, and ask questions if there is something you don't understand or need clarification about. I think what can feel overwhelming is the sheer volume of paperwork and the legal verbiage. But again, with careful reading, research with the help of the internet, and an attorney looking over your shoulder, you will be fine. Just be patient...there's a reason for all the paperwork and it really does make sense!

We are in the process of making an offer on a house without an agent. We found the property ourselves using Trulia. The frustrating thing we are finding is that dealing directly with the seller's agent can be challenging. The hitch we've encountered is that she's trying to get us to sign paperwork designating her as the Dual Agent since we don't have one. Initially, she presented this to us saying we "needed" to sign this. We questioned this, did some research to make sure, and clarified to her that we don't want to sign. We are specifically coming without an agent in order to hopefully give the seller more flexibility on the price. She then backed off and said we're right, we don't need to sign, she was just trying to "protect" us since we don't have an agent.

Near as I can tell, this is a bunch of baloney! The only thing she's trying to protect is the opportunity to collect the whole commission.

I will say that this is something you don't want to do alone. In addition to a good real estate attorney, make sure you enter this process with a spouse or good friend who is detail oriented and not afraid to question things. It helps if they have been through the process before, or have a background in finance/business, but this is not necessary. I would say more important is someone who can bring a healthy dose of skepticism and a spine to help cut through the baloney and stand up to an agent whose motivation is how much they are going to get out of the process.

The truth is that because of the internet, and apps like Trulia that allow individuals to access the MLS independently, real estate agents, and I would say buyers agents in particular, are a dying breed. So be wary of information out there discouraging you from making an offer on your own. They are going to tell you that you need them to help guide you through the process. I'm here to say that isn't true. You really can do this on your own!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
funny that you come to a community of agents and want advise on how to purchase a home without an agent.
Important: keep in mind that the SELLER pays the Buying agent's commission.

If you want to make an offer without an agent, just walk up to the house and make your offer. There are no forms available for public use. Everything in life is negotiable.

However, I would highly suggest that you use a Realtor. The standardized purchase contracts can only be used by licensed Realtors. Those are the same contracts that protect buyers in case anything goes wrong. Realtors also have access to comparable housing sales and prices in the area so they would be able to make the best estimate in terms of how much below asking you should offer. You're getting a Realtor's experience, knowledge, and time and the best part is that you don't even have to pay for it.

-William
GoldenLandInc.com
NOLO Press has a good book called selling your house in California For Sale By Owner...they might have a section on buying without an agent. I wouldn't recommend it as a first time home buyer, but if you are experienced with real estate you may be able to get a bargain without the seller having to pay out commissions to agents.
Get A Standard Purchase and Sales Agreement ( Purchase contract) and send it to your seller. Once they sign you can open Escrow. with a title comp
Web Reference: http://www.stopmfo.com
Hi, Lj. Is the home you are interested in For Sale By Owner? The others are correct in that the buyer does not pay the commission. The seller pays the commission and has usually priced their home accordingly. You usually don't save the amount of money that a Realtor would be paid.

I commend you for wanting to save money (I assume that is why you want to do the offer yourself) but in the longrun you may actually save yourself a lot of headaches AND money if you use an agent.

And, YES you can offer below the asking price. In this market it is rare to get an offer that is asking or above (it does still happen). When making an offer you need to keep in mind that if you "lowball" the price the seller may take offense and not be very workable.

I am in Los Angeles. Feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance.
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2007
Hello Lj,

You got great advise already !

Did you know that the Dept. of RE biggest interest is that agents take care of the consumer? In essence, we are here to take care of you ! And agent makes sure your are legally covered whether you are a buyer or a seller. So, although you can make an offer on your own, it behooves you to use a professional agent. Glad to be of service !
LJ, Yes you can make your own offer- but WHY would you want to? You have everythingto lose, and absolutely nothing to gain. You don't pay the commission for your agent- the seller does. You don't pay for your agent's knowledge and their negotiating skills. So why would you NOT use an agent? Do you realize that by the time you are finished with a transaction you will have well over 100 pages of forms? How would you know what you are missing? What you should have seen? If you are protected? If the other agent has done what they should be doing? Don't take a chance on one of the biggest expenditures in your life- it is just too risky! Get a good agent!

If you would like names of reputable agents in your area, give me a call. I know many.

Patti Phillips
800-680-9133
As a Buyer in CA you can afford absolutely the best agent representation--and it's FREE to you, as the Seller pays the buyer commission. A great Buyer agent will be able to counsel you on the best way to craft an offer designed to appeal to the seller-even if it's lower than asking price. A good resource for buyer agents is REBAC, the RE Buyer Agency Council, which maintains a list of ABRs, Accredited Buyer Representatives.

Keep in mind the largest percentage of RE lawsuits involve unrepresented parties.