Home Buying in Naples>Question Details

Trulia Naples, Other/Just Looking in Naples, FL

How can you find out how flexible the seller is on their asking price?

Asked by Trulia Naples, Naples, FL Tue Apr 9, 2013

Kelly Miller’s answer
Though it is difficult to guess a seller's flexibility of pricing, you can quote your price and check whether he/she is coming to that quote or not. Do a bit research in the neighborhood about the pricing in that area, you will have a fair idea on it.
Using an experienced realtor whose specialty is negotiating will be a helpful tool in finding out how flexible the seller is on their asking price. As a seasoned negotiator and communicator, I have what it takes to navigate the home buying process and have my clients purchase the house for the lowest bottom line. For more information on how I can help you save money, please contact me at ryan@napleshomes.com or via cell is 239.244.1559. In addition, please check out my website, http://www.napleshomes.com. It is the premiere resource on Naples real estate updated daily with the latest listings, trends, real estate news, and much more!

Ryan Schwartz, Realtor
Web Reference: http://www.NaplesHomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 7, 2013
I agree with Don Tepper in VA. Find out what the sellers motivation and desires are prior to making an offer. Of course, having an idea of the market in the area is a PLUS!!!!!!!!
Good luck and remember a buyers agent is always a good choice when it comes to negotiating.

Claudette Looker
Here a few additional ways to at least get some indication of flexibility prior to making an offer. Have your agent check to see how much of a loan may have been taken out on the property if any. All 1st and 2nd mortgages would be recorded. Most sellers strongly prefer not to being money to closing if they can avoid it. Also, a good agent will check to see what the seller paid for the property and when. They can also estimate updates and remodels done to determine how much the Seller "has in the house". Again, people are motivated to sell for many reasons but often times doing homework before making an offer can be a very good indicator. http://www.helpusellnaples.com
Hire a good agent! Qnd, then start negotiating....call KathyBC 800-448-3411 ext 601...(4/10)
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent home buyers only, and work to get you the best price and most favorable terms. You can go to NAEBA.org for a referral to an EBA in your area.
Yes, Hiring a good real estate agent to conduct the sale is the best way to insure a successful outcome with less embarrassment to all concerned.
Steve Moller, Realtor
Vanderbilt Realtors
Naples, FL 34109
"Make an offer" is the most obvious and the most certain answer.

However, if you're dealing directly with the seller--as investors often do--ask. Better: Ask the seller what outcome he/she wants. Certainly, it'll be to sell the home.

But sellers have other needs and desires to. Sometimes it's to maximize price...which can take longer to achieve. Sometimes it's a quick sale, in which case a lower price and quick close may be the solution. Sometimes it's something else, and the price can be adjusted to reflect those other factors. Even with listed properties needing some TLC, sellers can be more flexible on price if the buyer is willing to purchase it in "as is" condition. Sometimes the seller doesn't have the money for fix-ups. Sometimes the seller does, and is willing to sell either way (with or without fix-ups).

So, before simply making an offer and seeing whether the seller accepts it, find out the seller's motivations and desires.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA

Scott Godzyk hit it out of the park below!!

The true way is to make an offer in writing, accompany it with a pre-approval letter and your deposit. Any seller who has a "Good" Listing agent will certainly counter your offer if it is too low.
Well, if its been agreed by all agents who answered before then Make an Offer must be the right answer.

You can also look into how many reductions have been done and how many days on market for clues on flexibility.
Make an offer. The listing agent of the property represents the sellers best interest and is supposed to work to get them the highest price possible. Some agents will talk about their clients negotiability but I won't. You can also get hints to how flexible they are by their motivation as well.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
Simple. Write a compelling Reasonable offer and justify with comparable sales.

Kind Regards, Kevin

evin Rathburn, Realtor
239-269-4575 Direct Line

KevinRathburn.com Integrity-Diligence-Innovation
Do your homework.
Justify your offer.
There is a magic number out there, the seller may not be aware of it, that you must reach.
Only through skilled negotiation, will the buyer and seller see the benefits of reaching agreement.
Now, skilled professional have years of experience establishing the proper stategy for starting the conversation that allows the progression to reach the acceptance zone. How flexible the seller becomes is directly related to the benefit the seller brings to the table. How low the seller will eventually go has a tremendous relationship to what they disclose when they are home when the home is being shown. For the seller, this is never advisable. The most innocent conversation can reveal the most important aspect of achieving the negotion advantage.
Of course one can just spit out a number and see if it sticks. Lots of investors like this approach. 1 in 40 stick!
Finally, the knowledge the seller posseses will prove crucial. If they are well priced, the reality is, they don't need to accept any offer other that one that conforms to the listed price. There will be observable evidence that another buyer is must moments away. Such assurance can resullt in the opposiste result. They buyer kicks in a little extra insurance money.
In a season of meager inventory, the buyer best understand the market. A seller is not required to give any response to a 'see if it sticks' offer. The reality is, the seller will want to assess the buyer to determine how 'FLEXIBLE" they are to kick in more dollars should the anticpated FIAT appraisal arrive.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Assoicate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
You make an offer. There is no other way of finding out. Offers should be based on market data, not what you wish you could buy a property for. The best source of market data is a local Realtor who is active. To find a great local Realtor read the attached link and check out the Find a Pro tab at the top of every page on Trulia.
Making an offer is the only true way and I agree, even though you want to get the best deal for yourself, be careful not to insult the seller. If you truly want the home, the dialogue of negotiations could stop, especially in our market that is increasing in price, which favors the seller. Your real estate agent should know the market where the home is located and be able to give you good advice as to the actual selling prices in the neighborhood. These current selling prices are you best comparables and should be used to make an educated offer.

If your not working with a real estate professional, please call me. I will help you decide what is a good number to present. Carol Bibee from Coldwell Banker North Naples Office, 239-451-9597 or CarolsCoastalCollection@gmail.com
As a Mortgage Broker who is submitting an offer on a property this morning for myself, I can tell you what to do and how to do it.

You need to consider making your offer the exactly the way I am.

Call me

I would totally agree with the answer below. The only way to know is to make an offer. Even when I'm the listing agent and the Seller has said, "I will not go below $X (whatever they think that figure is), I still present every offer and have had many Sellers over the years accept something that I never thought they would based on their original statements. Even the seller doesn't always know until they're presented with an offer.

Find a good REALTOR that you trust. Work with them and let them teach you about the local market. You may know a lot about the market you're coming from, but every real estate market is different. Your REALTOR should be able to tell you what the most recent comps have sold for and determine an average price per square foot that might help you, as well as how much prices are increasing each quarter and sometime monthly.

In other words, hire a professional and listen to their advice!

Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of service.
Good Morning,
I have been negotiting sales in Naples for 30 years & I can tell you ALL sellers are different. The ONLY way to find out what their bottom line is, is for you to make an offer. However, that being said, please ask a Realtor to give you a market ananlysis on the neighborhood & home & get you as much information as possible on the reason the home is on the market. If you go in with a "lowball Insulting" offer, the seller most likely will not respond. You want to start at a fair offer to engage the seller to communicate with you so you can find out his bottom line. Please let me know if I can be of any help by e mailing me at pfcandito@johnrwood.com or calling me at 239-290-5236. Have a great day
Contact a Realtor.

Why use a Realtor: http://www.napleshomes.com/blog/why-use-a-realtor-to-buy.html

Ryan Schwartz, Realtor
White Sands Realty