Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Lookingatsea…, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

How can you encourage more social interaction amongst neighbors?

Asked by Lookingatseattle, Seattle, WA Wed Apr 17, 2013

Answers

10
Have a small party and invite people over. That is one of the best ways I have seen my buyers interact in their new neighborhood.
Tom
Invite them over. In neighborhoods we've lived in, we've thrown parties and invited everyone on the street. Organize a cookout and ask everyone to bring something. In our last neighborhood we organized a monthly social and an email would go out with the details. Sometimes we would meet at the pool or clubhouse, sometimes it would be a local bar or restaurant. It can take a while for it to catch on, but it's great for neighbors to be neighborly. Most of all, have fun with it!

Jen and Mark Bowman
941-840-0117
Nothing like a good old fashioned block party. The fist step is to get your neighbors to recognize each other and get a chance to know one another.
It sometimes takes a progressive and active committee that plans and organizes activities that people find attractive to them. "If you build it, they will come." However, being able to build something that people like remains the challenge.

I personally live in a neighborhood with a very strong and progressive neighborhood center. It has something for everybody. It's one of the reasons I moved to the neighborhood. Despite this huge advantage, on a smaller scale I held the first open house and invited all the neighbors on the block or bordering my yard over for a holiday party.

Then traffic got worse so we organized around getting a traffic circle. There were also the elderly neighbors we kept track of and offered to help with chores.

I think the best way is to figure out with a few people what needs to be done, who might like some help, or just figure out how to have inclusive fun! Nobody is best buds on our block, but I'll take my neighbor's dog who's locked up all day to the dog park when I go. I know they will do me a favor as well. I think paying it forward to decent people will start a trend!
Depending on the neighborhood there are wonderful community council groups and special interest groups to become involved with. For example in NE Seattle; Meadowbrook Community Council, Wedgwood Community Council, Thornton Creek Alliance Sustainable NE Seattle, to name a few.

Neighborhood block parties and city-wide nights out gatherings are also good.

What neighborhood are you interested in? As Community Outreach Chair for Meadowbrook, I would be happy to help you find groups in your neighborhood.

Cheers!

Pam
When I try to encourage more social action I generally will throw a huge party with free beer and wine...and every third person gets a real cuban cigar. I typically invite big names...like Pearl Jam...to gig for the entertainment. This method usually proves worthwhile
And do not forget the free taxi rides home. Good Luck, Rob
Leave your cell phones at home or put away and invite neighbors over for dessert, movie perhaps, and with summer coming a backyard BBQ. Doing some face to face time is the best way! Seattle has a saying, " we are nice but ice", the ice just needs to be broken.
Have you checked out the 15 Best Neighborhoods in Seattle?
A great way to meet neighbors is to form a Block Watch group. You'll meet your neighbors and you'll make the neighborhood safer. You could also attend meetings of your local neighborhood council, and create a newsletter that you can distribute to the neighbors on your block, which will help to keep your neighborhood informed. Or, get permission from the city to beautify your traffic circle or parking strip, then recruit some neighbors to join you.
Looking,
Through a block party. Talk to some neighbors willing to help, pick a date, send invites to everyone in the neighborhood and have fun. Do not have a hidden agenda. If you want to clean up a park or discuss a specific issue, let it develop organically.