sandra erick…, Other/Just Looking in 93923

How can we research the value of an outstanding mortgage is on a property we are interested in?

Asked by sandra erickson, 93923 Wed Feb 25, 2009

Answers

9
Se,
If you go to the County Assessor's office in Salinas you'll be able to pull the information you need. Unfortunately, the online system in Monterey County may not give you the answers you need.
Maureen Mason
Web Reference: http://www.maureenmason.com
No one has this information "at their fingertips." The most you can find out about a mortgage on a property is the amount of the original loan and the name of the lender.

Happy ffunding, Rudi
Web Reference: http://www.umboc.com
Looks like you have the answer, find a realtor that you trust and review the market not what is owed on a property. Why bail out someone else from their financial mistake.
Just a quick question Se, I know a lot of buyers go shopping this way, but what would be the value to you in knowing how much the mortgage amount is?

The reason I ask, I find that many people think they are getting a great deal on a property if they buy it 50% or more below what is owed on the property. Truth is, that amount has nothing to do with the current market value of the home. The far more valuable number to you is the one that is derived by doing a Comparative Market Analysis of the home. I'm sure the bank would love for you to get caught up paying attention to the amount of the loans and not to the market value. Not only should you know market value, but you should be aware of market trends in that neighborhood as well.
The quickest way to get your answer is to ask a Realtor. We all have this info at our fingertips. Let me know how else I can help!
Se, Curt Abramson from Bailey Properties in Santa Cruz here. I'd suggest you ask the agent you're working with to research that for you. If you're not working with one, I'd be happy to help you with that. Reach me at 831-251-4718, or cabramson@baileyproperties.com.
Se, You may find the site usefull for finding public records.....http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/

Good luck, Dunes
You should be able to find that information in your local register of deeds office. Here in NC, ofr example, it is done at the county level and the instrument recorded is called the "Deed of Trust". You have to be careful because a single property may have more than one outstanding mortgage and therefor, more than one deed of trust. Also, you want to make sure you look for satisfactions and/or cancellations as well so that you can be sure to get the right answer. Start with your local register's office and/or web site and with a little work, you should be able to find the answer your looking for.
It varies from state to state but you should be able to go to the local register of deeds office and/or website for the answer. Here in NC we are a "Trustee" state so the instrument recorded with the county office is called the "Deed of Trust". I can't speak specifically for the 93923 area but start with the local court house and the Register of Deeds office and you should be able to find the information you are looking for.