Home Buying in Edgewater>Question Details

Susie, Home Buyer in Edgewater, Chicago, IL

How can i tell which buildings onSheridan may be quieter? I am talking about noise from walking/music above and on sides?

Asked by Susie, Edgewater, Chicago, IL Thu Mar 29, 2012

Answers

14
Tamara Vesna TV’s answer
It is not EZ to tell. Try to look for more then few blocks from Loyola or buildings with no rentals or lakefront bldg w East exposure. At not charge to you my team and I could represent you. I'm an Accredited Buyer Representative so let me help you or visit my face book page TVRealEstate and see "Home Buyers Handbook" link with 80+ pages of info.
Go for higher levels , Sheridan its a pretty big street
Hi Susie,

I live in the condo canyon on Sheridan on the top floor of one of the high rise.

If your windows/sliding glass doors are shut you don't get much noise except the wind on very windy days.

If your windows/doors are open you can hear everything, including the El, traffice, sirens, horns, etc...

Hope that helps & good luck!
You can't hear much from neighbors or street at 5455 Sheridan in Edgewater. I was just there on the 15th floor
I would just shoot for a higher floor. Make sure its brick, go up at least 9 floors and you should be fine.
Be careful about describing noise. Transmissive sound can be impossible to eliminate completely. While double drywall, insulation--air space--double drywall can prevent 'most' sound between units in well detailed buildings, IMPACT sound from those above and below is a whole different animal. Soundrproofing underlayments would require removal of existing floors in most cases (i.e., NOT concrete floors for obvious reasons) in order to create the sound break you're looking for. There are also plenty of suspension systems for ceiling and wall drywall as well as QuietRock drywall ($50+ a 4x8 sheet) that can help considerably. This is one of the harder building anomalies to subdue, just like smokers in a nearby unit or apartment.

Never underestimate triple glazed windows if installed properly, they are awesome too.
The higher you go the less street noise you will get. As per noise in the unit, keep in mind that with communal living there will always be some type of noise. I have heard good things about 6030 N Sheridan.
Thanks everyone for the feedback !! It actually soubd slike these older buildings are more insulated and may be less noisy then then smaller building I am in now..
the buildings made of bricks are quiet and the buildings with cement are quiet and the buildings that allow big dogs are louder and the floors closer to the street are louder and the buildings with more renters are dirtier and the buildings with with more balconies are louder and the buildings with lower prices are not as nice as the buildings with higher prices
I would suggest you go see the units in the evening when most residents are home. Take your time at each showing to give neighbors time to walk around, play music, etc. Noise toleration varies from person to person. Generally, the newer buildings have better sound insulation, but you will always deal with some level of noise in a highrise.
I can provide you with an answer to your question the easy way. I have an absolutely stunning condo for sale in the 5801 Sheridan building & I would be happy to meet you & show you the apartment & you can judge the noise level for yourself. The unit is on a corner overlooking a private beach & there is no street noise whatsoever. Old windows have been replaced & the peace & quiet are delightful. Call or email me. Even if the condo is not what you are looking for (although it is lovely!), you can get a sense of Sheridan Rd, at least from this particular building. Barbara Biederman 773-914-5309
bbiederman@citypointrealty.com
I do not think anyone can tell you that. There are too many variables. All the high rises along sheridan have concrete ceilings/floors so sounds should be very quiet, but if there are hardwood floors above you it can make a difference. From side to side it can depend on if your bedroom backs up to another bedroom or perhaps a living room or if your neighbors are older owners or young tenants. Too many variables to give an answer. Perhaps try for a corner unit with fewer common walls.
Hi Susie,

If you want something quieter, chose a building that has newer double glazed windows. Or go with a street that has less foot and car traffic.

Best of luck,
Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
IvanSagel@DwellOneRealty.com
Maybe search public records and pull tax records. Than call them and explain that you are looking to purchase and wanted and opinion from someone who currently lives in the building.