Christy Weck…, Renter in Bismarck, ND

How can i find out if a house for rent is a scam?

Asked by Christy Weckerly, Bismarck, ND Sun Apr 7, 2013

Answers

2
Is the person renting it the owner or a management company? Can you meet them at the house? Is the house for sale? Call me with the address and I'll help you find more information about the house. 220-3348.
Mary
Hello Christy, one of the key characteristics of any scam is that the scammer is requesting money upfront without any guaranteed delivery. Be weary of anyone asking for money before you tour a home or have a signed lease, especially for any high dollar amount such as deposits or upfront rent.

Just as landlords do background checks on tenants, you can do research on the landlord. Check with the BBB or Secretary of State to see if they are in good standing and/or have a registered business. A common scam going around is using active real estate for sale listings as a fake rental listing, so conducting a simple search for the address of the home to see if it appears on any other websites may be useful.

Bottom line, I would recommend reviewing the lease upfront before any money is exchanged, or, better yet, have a signed leased in place first.
thankyou for your reply..i appreciate your quick response.
Flag Sun Apr 7, 2013