Hiram33, Home Buyer in Los Angeles County, CA

How can i buy a house while separated from my spouse the real estate agent is telling me that its impossible is this true?

Asked by Hiram33, Los Angeles County, CA Sun Sep 5, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


If you are legally separated it's possible. It is my understanding that you can have your spouse sign a quitdeed or do a free trader form. If you are legally seperated, the agreement could include that whatever bills or purchases you make after the legal separtion are yours and your spouses are theirs. There are many variables to this situation. I guess it all depends.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 15, 2012
Speak to a loan officer. They are the only ones who can advise on whether you can get a loan or not. Until you are denied a loan, no one knows for sure.

Best of luck to you!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 6, 2010
You didn't say whether you are planning on a divorce, whether you work full-time yourself, whether you have your own credit score, whether your husband or "ex-husband" will be cooperative or not, whether you could qualify for a loan even if your husband is cooperative. There are a lot of questions, so I think you need to talk to several people, a loan broker, a divorce attorney, your husband and of course your realtor! Best regards, Terry Bell, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Hello Hiram,

I can refer you some other lenders. You could do married as your sole and separate property. If you need some recomendations let me know.
If you qualify without her is another story. She may need to quit claim it back to you also.

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
(323) 899-2900
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
It is my opinion that you could purchase a home without your spouse on the loan, even if you took title as 'sole & separate property', this is a community property state and that leads me into stating, talk to a real estate attorney.

562-430-3053 cell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
You need to talk to a divorce/real estate attorney. It might be possible, but while you are still married, your spouse may be responsible for your debts ( loan on a new house). Are you and your (separated) spouse on good terms? Would they want you to buy a house, or would they try to stop it?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
You need the advice of a matrimonial attorney, not a real estate agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer