Home Buying in Bronxville>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in New York

How can a co-op be listed as "within walking distance to Bronxville downtown shopping and train" but not be considered in Bronxville?

Asked by Jessica, New York Mon Jan 7, 2013

Answers

14
Because it is Bronxville post office, taxes, and school district but seemingly located in Bronxville. My listing at 36 Pondfield Rd W in "Bronxville" is a perfect example. I
Everything is within walking distance if you have enough time.
The appropriate language should read ##/## miles of train station.
Bronxville Village is the area that gives its residents access to the schools and Bronxville municipal services ie. police or fire department services. Bronxville PO (or Post Office) is the surrounding area that bears the name because their mail service delivers to a Bronxville address, however their city services belong to Yonkers, Eastchester, Tuckahoe or Mount Vernon. If you need further assistance...AskRey.

Rey Hollingsworth Falu
Licensed Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence - Bronxville

917.855.0277
Rey@askrey.net
AskRey.net
Web Reference: http://www.askrey.net
In Westchester County there are many zip codes that overlap and will produce a Post Office address that is shared by seveal communities not just the community that the Post Office address implies. Bronxville is one example where you could live in the City of Yonkers but have a Bronxville address fo instance, it is the only thing you have in common with Bronxville. Your property taxes would be paid to the City of Yonkers and your school district would be Yonkers. It is the zip code that produces the confusion. There are various examples across Westchester County like Scarsdale P.O. but actually living in the town of Eastchester with Eastchester Schools: White Plains zip code 10607 where you have a White Plains address but live in the town of Greenburgh with Greenburgh schools or 10603 which could be White Plains or Town of Greenburgh with White Plains schools, Valhalla schools or Greenburgh schools, confused yet? It is confusing but we all get use to it..

If you want to be sure where a property actually is located, look at the municipality line on the listing. It will tell you what town, village or City you pay your taxes to for the most part and then look at the school district the property is in. To be absolutely sure, once you have located a property you are interested in, talk to an expert in the locality...a Realtor is always a huge help.
There are several streets that are in Bronxville PO. Most likely, if it states "within walking distance...then you are are actually living in Yonkers and have a Bronxville PO address. Your taxes are going to Yonkers (or Mt. Vernon, or Eastchester, etc.), rather than the village of Bronxville. Your school district is usually in the town, village or city where your taxes go. As are you fire, police, garbage pick up. Hope this clarifies it.

Barbara O'Connell
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson NYS
Margot Bennett, Inc.
914-548-1628
Hi, There are many coops in the 10708 zip code that are on Bronx River Road. Those units are about 1-1 1/2 miles from downtown Bronxville...technically it could be walked but it's not what most would consider walkable. The 10708 encompasses parts of Eastchester, Tuckahoe, and Yonkers as a Bronxville PO Box. You can be on W Pondielfd, definitely walking distance to all but still city of Yonkers with a Bronxville PO.

Chris
Hi Jessica,

The CORRECT answer is that the Zipcode is mandated by the US Post using the nearest station to your home. 10708 is the Bronxville Post Office and that office services many homes in Yonkers, the Town of Eastchester and the City of mount Vernon. Since the municipality boundaries are not used for the mailing address, the Mailing address may not be consistant with the Municipality and the Schools. That is why I asked you to be sure of your school system in my answer to your former question

Bob Granata (914) 668-9514
thanks, I don't care about the schools, but I do care about being able to walk to shops ( not the mall) as I don't have a car.
Flag Tue Jan 8, 2013
Westchester is one of the few places in the country where the mailing address may not accurately describe the town the property pays taxes to or has access to with regard to schools and other amenities such as train parking or town pool . It is good to be aware of this when looking at properties and to verify with the local village or town to be sure.
Web Reference: http://Mindygerstein.com
Hi Jessica: There are all sorts of different ways to market & describe properties. Not all are "correct". That's why you need a professional to help you wade through all the information. I'll be happy to help you. Please call me if you want to talk further. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. 914-273-9688. http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com.

We're looking for more agents & offer commission splits up to 80% with no fees.

If you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $2,000 each for your agent recruits.
It could be the boundary line that separates Bronxville from the town/city where the property is located.
There are areas outside Bronxville Village with a Bronxville post office that are walking distance to the train.
Because the other side of the tracks is bordering Yonkers. If you need schools you need to be careful of location. I can help you. I lived here and and a realtor with Keller Williams
Maybe it is at the town border of Bronxville so that two steps out the door puts you in Bronxville.
I suppose the same way that I cross the street and I am in Roswell but my house is in Woodsock. I am litterally 50 feet away from the dividing line. So it could happen.