Home Buying in Westport>Question Details

acadoux02, Both Buyer and Seller in Westport, CT

How can 150 Imperial Ave in Westport have sold for only 279k?

Asked by acadoux02, Westport, CT Wed Dec 26, 2012

Answers

7
Bernie Cobb’s answer
It may have been a short sale, bank owned, Fannie Mae owned or some distressed sale. It also may have been reported wrong....go online and check the county records to verify $279,000 is accurate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 26, 2012
very interesting to read the depth and breadth of these answers, which shows why the public will continue to benefit from licensed professionals in a day when some people say this business can be done with out experience by going on a website. Accurate interpretation is essential while respecting the interests of principles.
I believe This was an estate sale. $270,000 only represented half the sale. An additional $270,000 went to another owner. The property was purchased by a local builder.
You are right. The sale seems low.
It appears that a builder purchased this property, and my initial research shows a sale price of $540,000, and yet another source refers to a sale at $270,000.

Sometimes, the sale or purchase of an estate-owned property will be split in portions for various reasons, and this is not all that uncommon. See V. 3363- pp-120-3 at the town clerks office for clarification and further details.
I am a Realtor® who works in Westport so I can give you some more insight.
The home had been owned since 1955 by the same family. The wife passed away in February of this year (2012), at the young age of 93. In April there was an executor appointed. It appears the husband is still alive. Looking at the town records (our area does not have "county records"), there were two transactions, both being listed as "Partial interest" and for the same amount $270,000, so it was indeed two transactions, then the total sold price is $540,000. It was purchased by a local builder and there was an application for demolition, and subsiquently taken down 12/6/2012. I hope this answers your question and I would be happy to help with any further information.
~Matt Murray
According to town records this property was sold for $540k on 10/26/12. Please feel free to contact us direct on 203-417-2882 for further details. Regards, Larry Ataide
Why, what do you think it should have sold for? Are you familiar with the property?