Home Buying in 02421>Question Details

Avinash, Home Buyer in Boston Harbor, WA

How can I tranfer property from my blood relative like Brother?

Asked by Avinash, Boston Harbor, WA Wed Oct 17, 2012

We are two brothers and have 2 acre farm land.One acre on my name and anot her on my brother on 7/12 property paper adjucent to each other. I would like to give thsi 1 acre to me as he has additional land/property on his name in another area . How this tranfer can be done legally with less cost as I am not buying it from him.I am getting it because he has overall more land on this name.

Help the community by answering this question:


Kevin Vitali’s answer
He just needs to deed the property over to you. There needs to be consideration, which we see $1.00 given as consideration.

You can certainly prepare a deed yourself but I would highly suggest having a lawyer do the work so it is done properly. It can probably be done for as little as a few hundred dollars.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 16, 2012
The specific laws do differ a bit from state to state. I don't know if Washington state has them, but in Massachusetts, we have real estate attorneys who will work for a fixed fee. Also, when your brother "signs over" the property, there does need to be monetary consideration in order for the transaction to be binding ... a dollar is acceptable consideration.

Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 23, 2013
Thanks nice post.
Flag Wed Sep 18, 2013
Hi Avinash

You can deed it to your brother but I recommend you hire an attorney to do it. It would be the best way.
Attorneys can register it online and get it all done easily

Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 19, 2013
It's really in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer