Home Buying in West Town>Question Details

Monica Brown, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

How can I tell if the property in bucktown/west town is in a good area?

Asked by Monica Brown, Chicago, IL Sun Sep 12, 2010

I am looking to buy a 2 flat in the buck town area. I found a house on 1502 artesian that says it is one block east of bucktown but I think it is in west town. I am trying to figure out if this is a safe area that is up and coming or not? i am new to this area,and i want to invest in real estate in a good area that is going to potentially grow.

Answers

18
Buck Town’s answer
Crafty realtors applying lipstick to the real estate pig call this West Bucktown. There is no West Bucktown. 1502 Artesian is Humboldt Park. If you have the coin for Bucktown, you should be looking east of Western, north of North, south of Fullerton and west of 90/94. The term West Town applies to a much larger geographic area that encompasses Wicker Park, Bucktown, etc. See the Wiki link below for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Town,_Chicago
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 14, 2010
I would go Edgewater/Rogers Park over that area all day long. They both have "L" access, Metra access, lakefront and Loyola University/Northwestern shuttle. Give me a call and we can discuss. 773-435-1605
Web Reference: http://Www.markmalave.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 16, 2013
As an agent we can not comment on the safety of an area. Interview a few agents and ask for their knowledge of these areas. They both are popular areas, more established than up and coming so growth is consistent there.
That area has a lot of potential ! and future Chicago city proyect are coming to that area ...check with the city of Chicago proyects
That address is in Humboldt Park. The west town thing is realtor nonsense. That area used to be hardcore drugland with lots of gang problems. During the boom lots of people bought during the winter and thought it was great. Once warm weather came they were scared to come and go from their expensive new Condos.
The area has gotten much better due to efforts by the City to clean it up. Things are still a little rough but generally not too bad overall. There will be times when you will feel like an urban pioneer. Closer to North Ave is better than closer to Division.
Investment wise you are probably far better off staying east of Western. Unless of course this place is a steal. I know a realtor who owns a NC house on that block or the next, can't remember. He couldn't sell if he wanted to. From what he has told me he likes the location generally. He has big dogs.
N or S of North or Division depends. Each area is a bit different on a block by block basis.
W of Western make sure you have the stomach for it.
Web Reference: http://www.aic-chicago.com
The area has gotten much better due to efforts by the City to clean it up. Things are still a little rough but generally not too bad overall. There will be times when you will feel like an urban pioneer. Closer to North ave is better than closer to Division.
Investment wise you are probably far better off staying east of Western. Unless of course this place is a steal. N or S of North or Division depends. Each area is a bit different on a block by block basis.
This area is an up comming for investment you will be okay even if you go a little more west you will eventually make you some money
Hello:

I enjoy visiting the local shops & restaurants in the area. Ask those that work there. Chance is they live in the area too. Check in for a night if there is a motel/hotel nearby.
Good Luck I think the area is great!
John Moustis
The best way to see if your comfortable with an area is to go there at all times of the day and night and see if it fits for you and your investing needs.

If your looking to buy and want to know more about which areas lie where, your best bet is to team up with a buyers agent. This way you have someone to walk you through the buying process, at no cost to you. Interview a few agents and go with the one you mesh best with.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
mlaricy@americorpre.com
708-250-2696
MBrown,

You are the best gauge for your comfort level.

Trudy is correct, check with an agent specializing in that area about recent home values. If an area is "up and coming" demand should be greater so while values may be lower across the board, statistics like market time and the margin of difference between original list price and sold price should be low.

My favorite way to learn about a neighborhood?
Use websites like everyblock.com They have information about crime as well as business openings, local news stories, and more.

If you are interested in that home or any houses like it, I would be happy to meet with you to discuss your options. I wish you best of luck with your search!

Rebecca
Hello there, Mbrown! Wanting to know the answer to this question is totally understandable and normal. Of course. Thing is, there are several reasons why no law-abiding, ethical real estate agent is able to answer: (1) fair housing laws prevent a real estate agent from doing so (and for good reason) and (2) whether a neighborhood is "good" or "safe" is a totally personal, subjective determination and what is "good" or safe for one person may not be "good" or "safe" for another.
You are the person who will have to answer your question.
You are the only person who can.

Artesian is one block west of Western Avenue. And this address is approximately one block south of North Ave.
Depending on your source, it is East Humboldt Park, West Town, or West Bucktown.
What it is called doesn't change the location.

If you do not have a real estate agent assisting you with your search, that's your first and best bet.
They will be able to point you to resources where you can research crime rates and other information for this location and for others around the city.
A real estate specialist will be able to help you assess recent pricing trends in the area too for multi-unit buildings - and other properties.

Check out our website for some neighborhood information.
Here you can watch videos and see pictures for a whole bunch of neighborhoods around the city:

dreamtown.com/neighborhoods/chicago-neighborhoods.html

If you are just beginning to get to know the areas/neighborhoods, having one of these poster-size neighborhood maps might also help you!:

dreamtown.com/poster/

Good luck to you, Mbrown!
Web Reference: http://www.dreamtown.com
it's not Bucktown. Every area in the city has crime, there is no getting away from it. Like some of the others said, everyone has a subjective view of what is safe or not.
Web Reference: http://www.markmalave.com
Go on everyblock.com and look at recent crime figures for that area
Look at 1415 Campbell just came on at 125K!!!???!? This has been a very difficult area for real estate and you ned to have a rather long time frame to own if you want to deal with it. It's not for your weekend warriors.

philip
Real estate agents are not allowed to give opinions about the safety of any given area because it could be construed as volating Federal anti discrimination laws suh as 'steering'. The generic response we usually give is to suggest that you check crime statistics with the local police. Another point is that what one person might think is 'safe' could be far different from what another person might think. My experience is that few people actually move into an area that they are not familiar with particularly if they are asking such a question. Perhaps ask your family, friends or coworkers what they think about the area.
With respect to this property I think it's way over priced. There are better deals out there for the same price or less as long as you are willing to do a fair amount of work.....this one needs it and you cannot get a normal loan for this property. You will need some sort of rehab loan. Have you looked into that? I have some references on my web site.

phlip
Hi Mbrown, this address is actually in Humboldt park, and it was considered west buck-town and was the hottest area for investment on the north side a few years ago. But since 2007 it has been on the decline most of the investment money has gone else were. It is currently a pretty bad area, but I am sure it will improve in the next 5 to 10 years. If the price is low enough and you can wait it will be a good investment in the near future. If you can;t wait Logan square or the Armitage corridor would be a better area for you.

Thanks Adam
Hi, The best way to find out if this is a safe and good area for you is to call the police station in that area and if possible drive through the area. As far as up and coming, a realtor can give you the numbers on what sold in the last six to twelve months. You will see the pattern
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010
This is very good area to invest or live in. Contact me if you want to have more informations about the property you are interested in at 1502 N Artesian.
les.kielb@realestate.com