Home Buying in Hoschton>Question Details

Annie Rose, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

How can I secure a Property Detail Report; otherwise referred to as a Tax Report on a property I'm thinking of purchasing w/o paying a realtor?

Asked by Annie Rose, Atlanta, GA Thu Sep 30, 2010

for rpt When I started looking at foreclosed properties via mls listings I wanted to know the owner history, the lender name, the level of indebtedness; pretty much an audit trail on the property. I was shown by a realtor a report she referred to as "The Tax Report" though the title on the report said "Property Detail Report". When I asked about requesting the same report on another property she told me I would have to pay $15. Is this standard?Where can I access this info without paying $15 ? Please help. I am a foster parent and though I do have funds for a larger home, I'd rather spend $15 on another childs dinner ... no disrespect intended.

You can download a Property Detail Report at http://www.nextace.com for a small fee. The report features home ownership and mortgage information, current property tax, liens even property history since the day it built. There is another website http://www.searchq.com allows you to download a free report and sell a detail report at a lower price.
Web Reference: http://www.nextace.com
If you're looking in Jackson County, the tax records are on line and there are also tax search sites. Call me, I'll be glad to help you.(NO charge).

Thanks for your big heart to take care of those foster children, a couple at our church have fostered nearly 100 children ! I'm truly in awe !
Jean Beck
Prudential GA Realty
4134 Hwy 53
Hoschton, GA 30548
Web Reference: http://www.jean-beck.com

If you are buying a home you should not have to pay a realtor anything. The seller pays the Realtor commission not you. Any you can still get a great deal on a property!

Tax Reports are free and you can get them from the county property tax website. An agent should never charge you for this information.

It's important in today's market to work with a Realtor to buy a home because there are so many foreclosures & distressed properties on the market that require special documentation not always associated with "normal" real estate transactions. You should have someone that can explain the circumstances of any deal you may enter into and not rely on the listing agent or seller for this information.

If you need some assistance feel free to contact me. I won't charge you for anything and I will earn my commission from the seller.
Call the county the house is located in. They will give you the full details. Good luck.
To get the records you are looking for, you need to know the county. Hoschton is in Hall and Jackson counties. I happen to live in Hoschton.
I concur that using a professional, to get professional results, is well worth it. Commissions are not paid by the buyer and there is no money up front.
Shelly Bloom
Virtual Properties Realty.net
Seniors Real Estate Consultant
404-788-6186 or 800-345-1039
Public records will tell you what you want to know. I echo Rob's comments - you don't pay for an buyer's agent representation, not using one is foolhardy. You don't appear to have the experience an agent does, you'll likely be leaving more than a few dinners on the table by trying to do this alone - no disrespect intended.
I have to echo Kens answer - most metro Atlanta counties have online tax records, not sure about your county.

Just an observation- if you are a foster parent where money is important, I find it very surprising you are concerned about saving $15, yet you are willing to try to spend considerable valuable personal time trying to "be your own broker" and even worse, take the risk of subjecting yourself to a host of mistakes that could cost you thousands upon thousands of dollars, and result in a less than sound purchase!?

It might make a little sense if you had to pay for a Buyer Brokers, but since Buyer Brokers are free...

Best of luck,

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner - Realtor
Professional Buyers Broker
Relocation Expert
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert
Advantage Realtors
“Know if the property is a Real Find or a Real Financial Risk - Before you submit your offer!”
*Michael I liked the first answer - you should never pay a lender for their services :) (of course there wouldn't be any of us!)

In Georgia almost all property tax records are online. I think Dan already said that. I guess the difference is if you do it yourself and you're wrong you don't have any recourse and if you're working with a licensed real estate professional and they do it for you and it's wrong you have some recourse.

My 2 cents? Never buy a home from the listing agent directly and never buy a home without a licensed real estate professional to represent you as the buyer. But what do I know, I've only done this about 3600 times.
Web Reference: http://kennycook.com
You can drive over to the county court house and pull all the records but still have to pay for the copies.

Mark Lackey
Atlanta Housing Source at
Solid Source Realty, Inc.
Associate Broker

Home Buyers & Sellers - http://www.AtlantaHousingSource.com
Property Management – http://www.SolidSourcePM.com
My answer should read "...never pay an agent..." Annie. Sorry for the error.
Tax records are public records. Agents have different means of accessing these, often simplifying the process over what you may have, but we pay fees to obtain and keep our licenses.
I did a quick search and have a link below to the Jackson County Website where you may be able to find what you are looking for.
With that provided, let me also provide a warning. Looking up information is not the same as knowing how to make the best use of the information. If you intend to buy a home listed on your MLS, you would be well served by having your own agent who will provide the research for you, preview homes to know the inventory and advise you of strategies to get the best deals. Not all agents are necessarily great at this, but there are some good ones. Interview agents, ask them to document any claims they make and find an advocate to help you get the best deal for the best home you can find. It may be a bank owned home, but there are other motivated sellers who you should be considering too. Best of luck with your home search.
Property tax information is public. I would think you can go to the county web site and look up property tax. You can probably also call the county tax assessor to get the information.
Shelly Bloom
Virtual Properties Realty.net
You should never pay a lender for their services, Annie. Only their broker can compensate them for their work. If what you described is accurate, it is likely a violation of license law. The tax reports for any particular property can be obtained at the court house in the county seat. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond