Home Buying in Miami>Question Details

Looking2buy, Home Buyer in Miami, FL

How can I "really" get to know a neighborhood without moving there first?

Asked by Looking2buy, Miami, FL Thu Mar 28, 2013

Answers

16
-
Do a drive thru at 7:00 PM Monday - Thurs. Then do one Sat night at 8:00 PM and 11:00 pm, sit in the car, roll down the windows and watch and listen.

If a lady in a short skirt with an Adam's Apple walks up and asks for the time, hit the gas!!!

--
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
Ron gave the traditional answer, I will give the geeky, tech one. Go to google, go to the maps section, type in the address, hopefully find the property, open up street view and "drive" around. Look for the obvious, like how well maintained properties are, and the less obvious what sort of vehicles and do they look to be in working order. Are there people walking/gardening/etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
We recommend that our buyers return to the neighborhood multiple times during different times of the day. This should help with an appreciation for what happens at diferent time each day. While you are there, consider taking a walk and look for opportunities to strike up conversations with th people you encounter. This form of first hand information can be a freat resource for gaining an accurate feel for the neighborhood.

Having some prepared question ready may be helpful.

I recommend driving by. I usually say to go around after work hours. That way you can meet the neighbors and ask if they like the neighborhood. You'll get to see if it is a friendly community. You can see if there are a lot of houses on the market or if the homes are well-maintained.

If you aren't local, see if a friend or family member can do it for you. Hire a local agent and ask about different communities or have them preview homes. You can also do Street View on Google Maps and "drive" down the streets.

If you want to know more about the community/area, look up the school district on http://www.greatschools.org and Yelp.com the area to see how the local restaurants are rated, etc.

Whatever is important to you, do a little research and see if it's a good fit - great golf, boating, schools, dining, tennis, work opportunities, etc...

http://www.city-data.com also has forums where you can ask questions and talk to locals. (Ex: Miami = http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami/)

Walk the neighborhood with or without a dog.
Pass by the schools, the churches, the supermarkets, theaters, parks and restaurants and you'll see.
Go there,
Drive through,walk through,you know more ways than probably we do,I'm sure you've done this before many times
Go there,
There are so many tools for doing that today. Start with Google earth or Google neighborhoods. Look up the area on Google. Go to City-data.com. Or, call a Miami real estate agent and let him or her help you get acquainted.

Not only do realtors help customers to buy and sell homes in Miami, they also provide reams of information about neighborhoods to prospective buyers. We're out and about every day, so we have the opportunity to observe what's going on around us in the neighborhoods we serve.

If you've already been in touch with a Miami real estate agent, ask him or her for help with neighborhood information.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX CompleteSolutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
Really easy, take a look of the crime rate reports available on the internet, check the school rate as well, you can compare it with neighborhood nearby, call a Realtor like me to obtain those reports and ask for a review of that particular area, that is my advice to you.
Drive by the area of interest during the day, and then again at night.
I suppose the best way to know a neighborhood without moving first is when you have information from a relative or friends who live in there. Other way is walk around ,have a seat in starbuck and speak with some neighbor , etc. Nevertheless that is important for one person maybe is not so important for another one . Good luck, Maria Diaz
Coldwell Banker 305 6390445 marilindiaz@gmail.com
Have you considered visiting it?
Maybe walking around and knocking on doors and meeting people?
Back in the olden days, that's how they did it; before computers.
I feel that there are blogs on just about any neighborhood in any given city.
My broker is working on a website that will describe all the of the smaller enclaves in and around Miami and Miam Beach, you can visit the link below.
Word of mouth is the best, possibly by visitng the local Starbucks, mall, etc to speak to the locals.

I hope that helps, and feel free to contact me for further assistance.

Beth Jenkins
South Florida Brokers
786-374-4778
bethjenk1@gmail.com
You can read area reviews right here on Trulia. In addition you can check online sites for the many Municipalities, Cities and Villages of Miami Dade County and Unincorporated Miami Dade. Visiting the area at different hours of the day on weekdays and weekends is also a very good idea.