igotplans2, Home Buyer in Winston Salem, NC

How can I quickly find an investor for a lease-purchase arrangement? I've found a house, but can't get a loan.

Asked by igotplans2, Winston Salem, NC Sun Jun 30, 2013

This house is a great deal, a foreclosure that's been completely renovated throughout and priced below market value. I haven't used credit in over ten years, and the loan officer's already told me this will be a problem. I can put 10% down, and I have more than ample, stable income. I have no debts.

Answers

2
Your property is in the Winston area and it's been awhile since I've looked around here for hard money, mostly as those investors started getting burned enough that they either dropped the idea or started asking as much financial stability from the borrowers as banks did. So the direct answer is "I don't know."

As Tony mentioned, you can search and find a few listings through some diligence.

But my question is what is your definition of a "Lease Purchase"? It's often not what one thinks it is.

You're going to create a contract to purchase in the future, but lease it until then? So this loan you say you'll need won't come into play until the time of purchase, maybe 6 months to 2 years off?

Are you going to lease it and purchase an Option to buy the home in the future sometime. Again, how much would you actually need now to buy an option? And further, as the above choice, you would work with the bank to finance your home after you've built credit during the lease period. This is often the idea behind when people say "Lease Purchase". Remember, depending on your contract, either you're leasing it at one point or you're purchasing it. Never really doing both at the same time. As obvious as it sounds, the point is there are distinct laws that apply to you as the Lessee as opposed to being a Buyer. Same goes for the Seller as Landlord.

Or are you looking for a Contract for Deed where you pay installments to Seller on the purchase to have it deeded in the future at a certain date or when a certain amount, or all, of the balance is paid? Then the Seller is financing it and there's no need for a 3rd party investor or lender.

Or are you purchasing the home to lease it commercially / Rent it out?

As in most cases, it's the closing attorney that you'll choose to close the purchase that is a great asset up front. Talk to him/her in the beginning, instead of the end, to choose your best path (and set that contract to favour YOU, the Buyer) that may save you from having to find hard money at high interest. You may be able to negotiate a "purchase money" agreement that would benefit the Seller in the end better than having to deal with lease payments and keep you from having to come up with much money.

Again, as Tony mentioned, even if you find an investor, it's best to have an attorney up front on your side. If you're going to get all of this equity in the home (and save good money that you may have spent on another home) then you should see the value of paying an attorney to watch your back.

David VonderBurg
20 year NC Certified Paralegal
Licensed NC Broker
It sounds like you are looking for some quick cash before this "deal" gets scooped up by another savvy buyer. I would suggest a private money loan. You might try looking on your local "Craigslist". I would try searching "hard money loans" "shared equity investor" and other terms along those lines. You may have some luck at one of your local Mortgage Broker Offices as well as with a local Real Estate Office..

The primary downside to this type of financing is a much higher interest rate and most likely a shorter term with a balloon payment at the end of that predetermined loan term. Another potential pitfall to avoid is an unscrupulous, unlicensed individual whom may try to take advantage of your situation. Regardless of how you met the "Investor" protect yourself by checking references and having an attorney and title company (or whatever is customary in your state).

Good luck to you and don"t give up in your quest for home ownership. Tenacity is often rewarded with results!
Thanks so much for the advice, Tony!
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013