Home Buying in Faribault>Question Details

Jennie Mccul…, Both Buyer and Seller in 55021

How can I purchase a vacant home of 3 years? Banks, court house, realitors have no records of th home.

Asked by Jennie Mccullough, 55021 Mon Jun 11, 2012

Answers

3
Donald James’ answer
Hi Jennie,

Your professional Realtor can get the informtion for you. You may be able to check county records yourself but often Rice county is a little behind in title information. A great Realtor or a great title company should be able to help you. Send me the address in which you are interested and I will get the informtion for you.
Somewhere in the county information is recorded on the property. This is where the last mortgage will be recorded as well as the last owner. So if it's in Faribault, Rice County WILL have information recorded as either torrance or abstract. Probably a bank or mtg company that is holding back foreclosures or has been bought out and are just way behind on foreclosures.

The other possibility is an owner who is in another location and just keeps paying the bills but doesn't do anything with the property.
Jennie - sometimes places appear to fall off the grid - I had one like that to deal with in Chaska. As it turned out, the property ownership dated back to a post civil war land grant and had remained in the same family. I sold it for the owners, then I had to get death certificates to show the chain of ownership and a wonderful woman iin Carver County property records office made a new abstract. Sometimes these have to registered by Torrens. Check the chain of title on adjacent properties. You sometimes have to be a property detective and it sounds as if you have!! Sometimes these properties are part of an estate and heirs may not even know! Liz, 612-986-4105