Home Buying in New York>Question Details

weenchit, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

How can I obtain the original floor plan of my Brooklyn coop building?

Asked by weenchit, Brooklyn, NY Mon Oct 14, 2013

I would like to know my building's original layout.

Answers

5
David Zybin’s answer
Your best approach would be to hire a company or service and make a new one. It typically runs a couple of hundred dollars for an average apartment. You can also try to locate a copy of the appraisal, which was done at the time of your purchase - it contains layout. If you will be having a problem locating appraisal report, you can request it from your lending institution, they have a copy in the loan file.
I was referring to the layout of the entire building at the time of its construction.
Flag Thu Oct 17, 2013
I was referring to the layout of the entire building at the time it was constructed.
Flag Thu Oct 17, 2013
You can check Department of Finance - ACRIS for the offering plan or any other documents generated at origination. Here you can search public records by address or BBI (block/lot):
http://webapps.nyc.gov:8084/CICS/fin1/find001i

Or you can visit Department of Building at http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bsqpm01.jsp

FYI: Real Estate Professionals sometimes have better access to the floor plans. Let me know the building and unit number and I can check it for you :)

Yulia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 14, 2013
It sounds like you're in a prewar building and the layouts might have been altered over the years. You can ask your managing agent. You can check with the NYC buildings department. Your offering plan might have the floor plans, but they'd be at the time of conversion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 14, 2013
Check public records, ask management...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 14, 2013
NEW YORK CITY AGENCIES
New York City Department of Buildings (DOB)
Manhattan Office. 280 Broadway, between Reade and Chambers Streets
Phone: (212) 566-5000.
Records are on the Third Floor.

The DOB has kept records since April 1865. To use these records you need the block and lot numbers and the address of the properties in which you have an interest. For a Manhattan building this information can be found in the Sanborn Manhattan Land Book (Avery Reserves). The DOB files contain construction application, building permits and architectural drawings and plans.

Municipal Archives
Surrogate's Court Building at 31 Chambers Street, Room 103
Phone: (212) 788-8580

Important collections include microfilm of the Department of Buildings's docket books, Building Department records, tax records, land books, and the Manhattan Borough President's Photograph Collection. Extremely useful are the tax photographs. Every building in the five boroughs was photographed between 1939 and 1941 as part of a real property appraisal project

City Hall Library (formerly known as the Municipal Reference and Research Center)
Phone: (212) NEW-YORK

Official depository for all agency published reports and studies. These reports are often valuable sources for information on civic projects. Includes New York City neighborhood files, New York City history, an annotated New York City street name index, etc.