Marcus, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

How can I obtain a floorplan of the property before purchasing. Thanks

Asked by Marcus, Houston, TX Wed Jun 27, 2012

If the home was built in the last 5-7 years, you may be able to get a copy from the County Building Office. They keep plans for a short time.

The second choice is to visit the house and make your own drawings.

Good luck and may God bless
Thanks Ron,
I'm looking at a bidding on a occupied foreclosure and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons.
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012
Most builders have floor plans on their websites.
If it is a pre-existing home, your Realtor may be able to pull a basic sketch off of their Stewart Title HCAD link that they have access to thru their HAR.com membership. Some Listing/Seller's agents may attach the origanal floorplan and/or Survey to the listing on the Agent side on the MLS

Do check out mine and my collegues websites to find you the Buyer's Agent that you feel comfortable with. Remember that the Seller's Agent has to put their Seller's advantage over yours first, so it is best to have a Realtor acting as your Buyer's Agent in your corner.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 27, 2012
Flag Wed Jun 27, 2012

If you have an Iphone or Ipad, you can use the "MagicPlan" app. Allows you to take pictures of rooms and develope your own floorplan. Free to $5. I haven't tried it yet, but there are a lot of good comments at the App Store.

Most homeowners misplace their floorplans. And most are NOT blue prints but marketing materials from the builder. Most Realtors will help you draw on paper a rough sketch, but other than the app your left only with photos and possibly virtual tours.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty
Is the property new construction or already existing? If new, the builder can provide. If older, the owner may have them if they were the original owners. Ask their realtor for a copy. If they don't have the floorplans, you will have to hire someone.

If you need a realtor, I'd be glad to help.