Home Buying in San Jose>Question Details

Christmas55, Home Seller in Niagara Falls, NY

How can I get settlement sheet from purchaser of my foreclosed house.?

Asked by Christmas55, Niagara Falls, NY Tue Dec 29, 2009

I paid taxes in Sept. House was sold in Nov at auction. Should I get credit for the taxes for ten months after the house was sold. I live in New York

Answers

6
Blaine Rabe’s answer

You do not get the settlement sheet. You probably do not get credit for taxes, as the taxes were probably not paid up for 2009, I suspect you did a payment for 2008. Sort of the same answer as Christian gave.

Blaine
You would not be able to receive the settlement from closing that is confidential information. Are your taxes prepaid for 2010 ? Usually taxes are in "current" year, paid during time you reside in property from 1/09 thru date sold.

Speak with county clerk determine if you can receive a refund .

GREAT QUESTION.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
If it was sold at auction then there is no closing statement per se. The taxes you paid are for previous year since they are paid in arrears and the bank is usually the one that gets the property at auction as they want to make sure that the bids are higher than the mortgage balance therefore they bid on the property at the auction and stop bidding once the mortgage balance is exceeded. If you were paying the taxes yourself then there is no escrow account for taxes otherwise the bank would pay them and not you. In other words I wouldnt count on getting any money for this. Probably would have been better off not paying the taxes if there was a foreclosure suit and you werent contesting it.
Hi Christmas55,
I would think your past lender would be the one to check concerning taxes. They should have to account for all funds that do not belong to them. A settlement check would not show that you paid in Sept.

Happy New Year,
Larry
I am licensed in NY as well as Florida. Double check me here - I would look to the attorney that closed the transaction - they will have any documentation you need. Taxes are paid in the rears - meanng you pay at the end of the year. You would have not been due a fefund from the buyer - you would have owed up to the date of sale at closing. If you had a mortgage that escrowed money for taxes that year - you would be looking to the lender to get a refund from the escrow account.
Why do you need settlement sheet. You paid taxes and your check should show what.