Reinventyour…, Home Buyer in 30013

How can I get my earnest money back if the house that I was purchasing has roof rats but the rats weren't discovered until a week before closing?

Asked by Reinventyourself, 30013 Tue Nov 17, 2009

Answers

3
Reinventyourself’s answer
Thanks Michael and Hank! My agent didn't want to disclose anything to the selling agent since it was a foreclosure and he told me that they wouldn't do anything anyway. He didn't even offer to go to them to try and negotiate an agreement.
He kept telling me that there weren't any rats...but today when he went to the house to get the keys he heard them! I feel so vindicated. I am terrified of rats and I certainly don't want them in a house that I am purchasing! :-)
Thanks again for your responses.
Michael hits all the points - but why not negotiate an agreement to erradicate the rats? This really isn't that all uncommon, "critters" make a career of finding ways into homes. I would expect that before anything is terminated that all avenues would need to be explored.

Hank
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 17, 2009
What does your agent say, Reinvent? It will, at minimum, take a sit down with your side's agent and broker, as well as a signed termination and release agreement from the listing side to accomplish your goal. By the way, who was holding the money?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 17, 2009