Home Buying in Mountain View>Question Details

Bay_area_ll, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

How can I find the contractor who did the remodel?

Asked by Bay_area_ll, Oakland, CA Wed Sep 12, 2012

I see a house for sale and I admire the addition that they did. How can I find out information on the architect or contractor?

Answers

7
Go to the city of Mountain View and look up the permit history. There should be names on the permit of who did the work. If there is a disclosure package for the sale the permits may be in there so you could ask the listing agent.
Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference: http://www.marcymoyer.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 12, 2012
I'd start by asking my agent to ask the listing agent to ask the seller ... it will save you a lot of work. Or if you like the house and want to do the same type of work on your existing home and therefore you don't have a buyer's agent, just ask the listing agent directly.
Ask your agent to request the information from the seller.
Go the city and look at the permits/applications/plans/etc.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
Request the permits from the city.
Hello Bay and thanks for the post.

Marcy is absolutely correct! Check the disclosure package for the name of the contractor, which should be noted on the permit. And, the City of Mountain View (as would any city) keeps records of improvements like this.

Of course, the simplest way to find out about anything is simply to ASK the seller for that information. Often, it's as easy as a phone call between agents to find out who completed the remodel, so long as the work was done during the time the seller owned the home.

Hope this helps!!

Grace Morioka
The address is 1182 Nilda Ave