Home Buying in 75234>Question Details

Kathleen Ryan, Home Buyer in Farmers Branch, TX

How can I find out if a city I am looking at allows the addition of a carport or covered parking in front of a home that has a garage conversion?

Asked by Kathleen Ryan, Farmers Branch, TX Mon Aug 9, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


As the other two agents have said, there is no "one size fits all" for this answer. Each neighborhood has its' own restrictions and to find the answer you will need to do some homework or if you are using a Realtor they can help you find the answer. I will tell you that the chances of going in front of the house are not good. Usually the home is built right up to the building line in front and on the sides, but you have from the end of your home to the rear building line in the back.

If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Mary Beth Harrison
The Harrison Group
Keller Williams Realty
Web Reference: http://www.DallasNative.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 9, 2010
I would suggest contacting the city building permit office. If they don't have the answer for you, they would be able to tell you who to contact.
Web Reference: http://www.weknowdfw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 11, 2010
Your best option is to contact the city and simply ask them about zoning and permit issues for updates to property exteriors.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
Contact Local city for building permit. They will let you know...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 10, 2010
Just go by and check with the local building inspector.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 9, 2010
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Another point to consider is if the home is in a HOA. Make sure you clear it with the HOA before you decide anything permanent...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 9, 2010
You need to contact the city for approval of this type of construction project.

More than likely will require permits and etc.


Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 9, 2010
Hi Kathleen - if you live in the city of Dallas, you can go the the website http://www.dallascityhall.com and look in the section marked zoning. There will be information about neighborhoods and a phone number to call. If you are not in Dallas, your local city hall will be able to provide the information necessary. I hope that helps!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 9, 2010
Hello Kathleen, I know that you expected this question to be cut and dry, but unfortunately that is not the case. This is more then likely a zoning or a HOA issue. I would check with your court house on the particular address of the home in question.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 9, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Home > Texas > Dallas County > Dallas > 75234 > Home Buying in 75234 > Question
Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer