Home Buying in Fort Worth>Question Details

Stephanie Fa…, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

How can I find out how much someone paid for a house in Fort Worth, TX? Looking to make an offer.

Asked by Stephanie Factor, Dallas, TX Sat Feb 13, 2010

Answers

10
Texas is a non-disclosure state. This means that the sales data may be hidden by the buyer and seller from public view. Realtors have access to sales data going back quite a few years. However, Board of Realtor rules prevent Realtors from giving data to persons not known to them. This means sold prices cannot publickly be displayed on websites since Internet access is anonymous.

If you contact a Realtor (me for one) and supply your name and the address of the property, you can receive what sales information there is available on a property.

Be aware, though, that when making an offer, it is not only significant what the house sold for previously, but also how much the owner currently owes (he may have taken out an equity loan) and whether the house was improved since it was last purchased, and finally what other similar houses in the same neighborhood are selling for.
A seller is not going to accept an offer that is well below what others are receiving for similar properties, and if his loans are not cleared off or his perceived value for improvements paid for, you will have a difficult time agreeing on a price.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 13, 2010
If you're curious about their financing, go to the county clerk's website for that county and do a search on that address and see what loan docs show up. You can at least guestimate what they may owe based on when and how much the loan was made and adjust it for today's dates. That may help. However, if you're dealing with an investment property, it might have changed hands many times recently so there may be some loan data missing from the county clerk's website due to insufficient update time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Hi Stephanie, wondering if you are working with a Realtor. If you are ask your Realtor, if not call me, I am an expert in the Fort Worth area. I will be glad to meet with you and discuss your offer...I can be reached at 817-991-5119...Blanca Molina- Tarrant County Realtor.
Your buyers agent can assist you structure a sales offer.

It depends if SOLD in past 3 years and posted in MLS not Z amount would be posted.

County Tax records.

You need have property comp much more goes into trying determine correct offer without alienating the property owner OR if foreclosure a winning bid.

Lynn911
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
With all due respect, the amount someone paid for a house is irrelevant. Doesn't matter at all.

The only thing that matters is what the house is worth today. What are the comps? What are the competing actives on the market? What's it worth today?

Example: In a subdivision near where I live, one family bought a house 20 years ago for $200,000. Another family bought a house 7 years ago for $400,000. Another family bought a house 3 years ago for $725,000. Does that tell you anything--anything AT ALL--about how much the house is worth? Or what you should offer? Absolutely not. In fact, all three houses are worth about $625,000.

Oh, and that $725,000 house is now an REO--the seller did a deed in lieu of foreclosure--and it's on the market for $475,000 (It's a really good value. Some here will argue that if it's not selling for $475,000, then it's overpriced. Perhaps, but it's got a lot of superficial damage and needed maintenance--about $20,000 worth. People are having a hard time seeing through that. Others are selling for $625,000.

So, what a seller paid is irrelevant to how much it's worth. And while T.E. Sumner's advice is correct that a seller won't be inclined to accept an offer that's less than what he owes (unless it's a short sale), or under what he believes the value to be, that, too, is irrelevant to your inquiry. Doesn't matter.

What matters is what the house is worth. So: You pay no more than the house is worth. You may choose to offer less. It's really that simple.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Thanks for all your answers. My realtor is looking up this information, I am just impatient and thought there might be an online resource.
Stephanie,

That's one of the things we do with you when we make the offer. We sit down with you and discuss how much the seller paid, what their mortgage was, how much equity they might have in the house.....all of which might not matter...depending on the current market value of the house. We also discuss with you their motivations to sell, your motivations to buy and several other factors to consider when making your offer.

We do not publically disclose sales prices in all cases in Texas like some other states do. All we record at the courthouse is the mortgage amounts.

If you are not already working with a realtor we would be happy to work with you to write the offer, review offer amounts and strategy and see if we can't get you a great house at the best possible price.

Bruce Lynn
Web Reference: http://www.dfwSnapshot.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I will be glad to help you.
I will be glad to help you find out that information and can help you with your offer.
Dave Buske, 817-980-9436, Dave@DaveBuske.com
Web Reference: http://DaveBuske.com
Give me a call and I will help you.
Rani Buchanan
817-808-7355