Home Buying in 95368>Question Details

Mari, Home Buyer in Salida, CA

How can I find out how much mela roos a house I'm buying has on it. Also need to find a good house inspector.

Asked by Mari, Salida, CA Sun Aug 24, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


The Mello Roos should always be disclosed from the Seller when listing the property. The Seller's Agent or the Buyer's Agent should always order a Property Detail Report; this report can be ordered through a Title & Escrow Company. The report will also include property details including the property taxes, lot size, and square footage of the home and comparable home prices in the area.
In response to a GOOD home inspector, there are many that claim to be good. I recommend a licensed home inspector that will return your calls and emails promptly. A Good Home Inspector will include photos and a written report on the interior and exterior of the home.
Peace of Mind Home Inspections Inc.1-866-757-8480 http://www.pomteam.com or AmeriSpec Inspection Service Ph#: (209) 543-1966.
I hope I have answered your questions. Have a Great Day!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 4, 2014
Hi! We are buying something and found out the Mello Roos in the Disclosure Source document Pacita mentioned. (Though we didn't get the document until after the purchase agreement was signed.)

We just had our place inspected by James Byrd of A Plus Home Inspections. http://www.aplushomeinspectionsonline.com/
He had great credentials and gave me two buyer references when I asked. He was courteous and personable and thorough. Plus he gave us a lower price than expected.

Another guy recommended by two agents here is Marc Harmon http://www.theinspector-home.com/
I called him initially and he was extremely busy. His quoted price was higher than on his web site and when I emailed him he said they were changed a month ago (no apology, just very curt). When I asked for references he ignored my request. Could be he was too busy and didn't need the job (he's also a contractor.) Take it for what you will.
Hope that helps--and best of success with your search!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 28, 2008
Most listing agents would include a disclosure package from companies like Disclosure Source or Property I.D. that should have information on whether or not the property in question is subject to Mello Roos.

If you're representing yourself, or if the property is for sale by owner, this is the kind of information you should insist upon.

As for inspectors, there are quite a few. You can choose companies like LandAmerica that can do pest inspection, roof inspection, property inspection, etc. http://www.inspectech.com/. You can also visit the website for American Society of Home Inspectors to find ASHI certified inspectors in your area http://www.ashi.org/

If you are represented by a realtor, these are questions he/she can answer for you. Most of us would have a list of resources for such services.

Take care and good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer