Home Buying in Kansas City>Question Details

Btzol, Home Buyer in Dallas County, TX

How can I buy my grandmother's house....3939 Wyandotte in Old Westport. Help me do this. I grew up there

Asked by Btzol, Dallas County, TX Sun May 17, 2009

Answers

7
Btzol,
We are lacking some detail here. If the house is not currently listed for sale and your grandmother still owns it, then contact a title company about facilitating the sale for you without real estate agents. You need to speak to a mortgage broker to inquire about your financing options. Same thing goes about the financing if the home is on the market. You need to see if you can get a loan and what the terms are. If your grandmother no longer owns the home, then that relationship has absolutely no bareing on the seller's desire to sell you the home. It would be nice if emotions played a roll in real estate, but we're talking about money here, and people do crazy things for money. If you want to offer some more detail about the current status of the home then maybe I can give you some more advice. Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 17, 2009
I see I'm a little late to this post. Also you have received alot of advise to your question.

There are some things you need to investigate prior to buying any property especially if you are purchasing from a family member.

You can reach me by phone and I can walk through all of the Do's and Don'ts while purchasing real estate that doesn't fall under the arms-length rule..!

T. Higgs (816) 286-9323
Btzol, as Larry pointed out, that home is not currently listed for sale. Does your grandmother still own the house? If so, and she wants to sell it to you, would you be paying cash? If yes, then the title company could transact the deal without the aid of a realtor. If you are planning on getting financing, you will need to speak with a mortgage loan officer. If your grandmother no longer owns the home, you can contact a realtor to approach the owner on your behalf. Best regards.
The 39th corridor is a very popular area...It is THE Westport....I see why you want to buy it..I can definitely assist you with this! I would start this asap, the market is primed right now...
Gwen Thomasson
Realtor, Century21 All-Pro
gwen.thomasson@century21.com
Need some more info.
I did not see that property listed for sale currently on the MLS. Does your grandmother still own it, or is it owned by someone else now?
We can help you with all your questions, just call. Larry Leone 816-453-9100
Btzol,
The advice you have received is good. If you would like local assistance, feel free to contact me. I also wanted to buy my Grandparents home only for the sentiment. It would not have been a good buy. There are many factors to consider. You need to look at its current condition and the condition of the surrounding neighborhood. There are some beautiful homes in that area.

Sherri Oaks
Web Reference: http://www.sherrioaks.com
Hello again Btzol,
Speaking of emotions, I'm all for memories and nostalgia, but buying a home is a huge investment. Buying ANY home. If you want to buy a home, look into getting pre-approved for a mortage that you can afford and terms you can handle. Then, look at some homes in that price range. If yoou still feel like you want to pursue the home you gre up in, then go for it! I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, all I'm saying is consider all of your options before you jump into something you may regret down the road.
Thank you everyone here. My family sold this home for $13,999 in 1968 or so. Amazing. Prices now so much higher. I would love to have this family home for me and my children and rent it out maybe.
Flag Mon Jun 18, 2012