Home Buying in Secaucus>Question Details

ronaldtre, Home Buyer in Secaucus, NJ

How can I Find a competent realtor in New Jersey when it seems none are left.?

Asked by ronaldtre, Secaucus, NJ Mon Aug 25, 2008

Besides one realtor who only deals with foreclosed home we have been unable to find any competent realtors in our area. Quite a few only speak English as a second language and these have been complete morons, so we will no longer deal with anyone who doesn’t speak English as a primary language. Second biggest problem is most realtors are out to hose the home buyer. Many will not talk to us, or bother with us unless we only buy/look at homes well above our prices range. We purposely asked for a given price range because we know what we can afford. Also, why do I even need a realtor when we are doing all most of the work? We have been doing all the searching, home finding etc, and so far the only good most realtors have been is to show up with the key so we can look at the home. When we can even get them to do that much, its no wonder so many are now defaulting on homes when realtors don’t want to look in the customer’s price range.

Answers

12
Linden Moe’s answer
Ronald,

Here is a quick tip, many orealtors have good intentions but here is a guideline,

Ask for a performance guarantee,

like If I chose you how much money will I save?

Tell them to put thier money where there mouth is.

Read a few of our poerformance guarantees below.
Hope this helps! Happy Home-Hunting,

You can actually search through all the Hudson County Homes, Condos by all the real estate companies

including hidden bargains like bank foreclosures, distress sales, corporate owned at

http://www.NjVipBuyer.com

Plus Buyers get A $20,000 Cash Savings Guarantee On Any Home We Help You Find!

"100% Buyer Satisfaction , Jobloss Protection Plan"

"Buy Any Home Using Our Help And If you lose your job we will BUY IT Back or Sell It For Free"
Web Reference: http://www.HomeInfoNj.com
I have to say this. Don't pick someone that types in all CAPS. It will drive you nuts trying to read their email.
~~~~~~~~~

LOL!!! Ooops, I mean lol.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 3, 2008
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Unfortunately for you, I am in Middlesex County. : )

I can refer you to a good realtor in the area, no not for a fee to the other realtor, I just know of a few good people that work up by where you are looking.

You think it is tough for you? it is tough for me too.. try dealing with this on a daily basis.. let alone going out to see homes with the type of Realtor you are griping about.. try putting together a deal with this "type" of Realtor. You want to scream.

Good luck and I hope you find a person to help you out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2008
Dear Ronaldtre,
Your experience sounds just awful but I can assure you there are still good realtors out there - even excellent ones. What I suggest you do is call some of the brokerage companies in your area and ask to speak directly with the broker. (A broker is not the same thing as an agent. Brokers are allowed to own or run an agency, have more schooling and passed a second exam, have been in business for a certain number of years etc.). I would ask the broker:
1. Is there an agent or agents in your office who have received the NJ Circle of Excellence sales award? Is there one who has earned it repeatedly, year after year? These agents have done a significant amount of business and are in the top echelon of agents. Then I would ask:

2. Of those agents, is there one who will repect my price limit? Why any agent would show you home vastly out of your price range is a mystery. They are not going to sell you something you cannot afford and if they don't sell you a home they are wasting both their time and yours. Finally, I would ask the broker:

3 Of these agents, is there one who specializes in the area in which I wish to buy a home and does that agent live in that area? An agent who lives in the neighborhood is hands-down going to know the neighborhood the best. Moreover, should you buy the home that agent is not just an agent but is now your neighbor. Someone you will see in the grocery store and at the post office. Not only will they be an expert in the town, but they are more likely to have your long term interest at heart.

There are hundreds of reasons why you need an agent when buying a home. First of all, some agents are what is called 'buyers agents' and actually represent you as an agent. Others are what are called 'transaction agents' and while they do not have a strict agency relationship with you, their goal is to assure that the transaction takes place smoothly and they are ethically obligated to act in your best interest. Either way, they are crucial in many ways. Showing you properties is just the first step. Here are just a few of the important ones -

They can educate you on the nuances of the neighborhood (especially if they live there). For example, parts of my town flood terribly every time there is a heavy rain. How would you know that?

They can educate you on features of a house - we attend hundreds of home inspections and learn quite a bit about homes in the process.

They can negotiate on your behalf from an objective position. Once you make an offer there is quite a bit of back and forth over price and terms. A good agent is an expert negotiator and very experienced at this process. There will be more negotiations when your home inspection takes place if problems arise.

They can assure that the deal keeps moving forward. Many attorneys are very slow in dealing with closings. The realtor is often the one who keeps things on track time-wise.

Finally, if you buy a home that is listed on the MLS there is an agent involved anyway - the listing agent. By not "using an agent" you are actually still using an agent - but now it is the listing agent who is an agent of the seller. They not only keep the whole commission instead of splitting it with your agent, they actually have a duty to obtain the highest price from you possible for that seller.

You can find lots more useful advise by going to my blog, link below, and clicking on "for buyers". While it is targeted at my market, Hoboken, there is general advice that would apply to and help any buyer.

Lori Turoff
Robert DeRuggiero Realtors
Hoboken NJ
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2008

Look for a member of NAEBA http://www.naeba.org in your area.
Web Reference: http://www.naeba.com
Deborah Madey, one of the most prolific contributors to Trulia Voices, is located in Central/Northern New Jersey... I'd suggest contacting her...
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
UNFORNUTATELY YOU HAVE NOT COME ACROSS A TRUE REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONAL. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY PLEASURE TO WORK WITH YOU, BUT I AM AN AGENT IN MIDDLESEX COUNTY. IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE TO REFER YOU TO AN AGENT THAT WILL TAKE THE TIME TO WORK WITH YOU AND HELP YOU FIND THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS
IN MY OPINION YOU SHOULD WORK WITH ONE REALTOR WHO WILL BE KNOWLEDGEABLE OF THE AREA YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND I AM SURE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIND A HOME, ESPECIALLY IN THIS MARKET. MANY TIMES WHEN YOU WORK WITH MORE THEN ONE AGENT IN AN AREA THEY FEEL THEY ARE DUPLICATING THE SEARCH. ALSO WHEN YOU ARE WORKING WITH A REALTOR YOU SHOUD GIVER THEM THE TRUE PRICE RANGE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AS WELL AS A LETTER FROM A REPUTABLE MORTGAGE COMPANY OR BANK SHOWING THEM YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO PURCHASE A HOUSE FOR THE AMOUNT.
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH
It sounds as if you are looking at inexpensive homes where typical buyers are either investors or non english speaking. There are many excellent realtors, unfortunately for you they have decided to focus on selling properties that are profitable for themselves. This may be a wonderful case for hiring a buyer broker at a fixed rate. Perhaps if you offer a flat rate of compensation you will get the level of service you desire.
As to your comment about defaults, interest rates have risen and property values dropped, add the fact that many buyers never should have qualified for loans in the first place considering their credit or income. Throw in the no docs and interest only loans and the writing was on the wall.
Your concerns are valid. This is a major problem with the majority of real estate agents out there. There are agents out there that should have the designation of LCT next to their name on their business card. That stands for Liar, Cheater, and Thief. Some advice for you, don't pick an agent that has been doing this for a long time. They are usually the laziest people out there. They know that for every one person they work with, they have at least 3 more coming soon. So for them it doesn't matter what happens to you, and they will treat you like that. Find yourself an agent that has a background of selling before they got into real estate. Good luck with your home search and keep looking for the right agent. There are good ones out there, not many, but if you look hard enough you will find them.
There are many fantastic Realtors, obviously you haven't found one yet. You are not in the area I cover, but I suggest you ask around, friends and family in that area for who they use. Get a copy of the local paper and see what agencies and Realtor's are mentioned in the Real Estate columns. You can also check the ABR website (accredited buyer's representative ) for an agent referral.
If you decide to look in northeast\ast Bergen County, please contact me, either through my website, or through Trulia., I would be very happy to work with you.
Sharon Kozinn
Web Reference: http://sharonkozinn.com

I don't believe that foreclosures are on the rise because clients were shown homes outside their price range. I believe that either people didn't listen to themselves enough or the right information was not provided. The whole industry created an environment of angst and high pressure for everyone involved.

The result is the current situation we're in now. Where agents are forced to budget their expenditures by making sure they work with clients with the best potential return on investment. After all, agents do not earn salaries like other jobs. If they don't make a sale, they can't earn a living. And so many are just frustrated with the current market conditions since their lives are made more difficult by the fact that banks are not approving potential home buyers as easily as before. Which is probably a good thing depending on your outlook.

Sometimes it's difficult to look back and find out how all this spun out of control. But we all hit a wall hard.

Real estate agents have been forced to take on full time jobs at the risk of not being able to provide for themselves or their families due to the slowdown. Many brokerages are experiencing a high turnover rate since they can't always keep good agents due to current conditions. Even good agents are finding it difficult to stay afloat.

What you are experiencing is the sign of the times with respect to real estate market conditions. Is your asking price so low that a 2 or 3 percent commission on that price is not worth an agent's time? Cost of living is very expensive in New Jersey and a $6,000 commission check (assuming a 3% commission on a $200,000 home - if you can find one) after monthly gas expenses (-$500 or more), home expenses (mortgage and bills) , medical (Cobra Insurance) , income taxes (20% to 30%) and broker split s(broker usually takes half of an agent's commission) what's usually left over given the cost of living in North Jersey is barely enough to live on.

I'm not making excuses for agents, but it's slim pickins out there for everyone. And agents are trying to find a way to stay in the business without starving since they don't earn steady paychecks. This business is commission pay only. And that's a real estate agent's reality.

As another agent stated in this discussion thread, call the brokers and have them recommend someone in their office who has been around the business long enough to endure the slow market. These agents have found a way to stick through the rough times.

Good Luck

Carmelo Torres
A Home For Sale Realty
ctorres@ahfsr.com
Web Reference: http://ctorres.ahfsr.com
The question,and the earnestness with which it is asked lead me to belive I don't have all the info I need to answer the question - but I'll take a shot anyway. First, let me dispel a misconception you apparently have. Finding a house to look at is a very minor part of the work involved if the Realtor is truely representing you.

Most Realtors list homes and act as advocates for their client (the seller). They may see you as someone who will waste a lot of their time and never buy a house - their listing or any other either. If homes in your price range exist you are unique in being unable to find a Realtor to represent you. I know of only one place where you should be able to find someone who meets your standards - if that is the problem. Go to http://www.NAEBA.com . That is the website of the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents. I'm sure there is a member in Bergen county that can help you.

Good Luck

Paul Howard