Home Buying in Colonia>Question Details

Niru, Home Buyer in Arizona

How are schools in Colonia, Nj?

Asked by Niru, Arizona Sat Feb 16, 2008

I am planning to move from AZ to NJ. I have zeroed in on Colonia becoz homes are affordable here compared to North Edison and Princeton. I would like to know about the city of Colonia, is it a safe place ? How are middle schools and high schools in Colonia?

Answers

7
Colonia is one of the 10 sections that make up Woodbridge Township, which has a total population of just over 100,000. When you hear names like Sewaren, Keasbey, Iselin, Colonia, Hopelawn, Avenel, Menlo Park Terrace, Port Reading, Fords, & Woodbridge Proper, they are all part of the Township known as Woodbridge. They all share the same school system, police department, sanitation department., etc, yet each section has its own unique character and style.

Colonia is considered by most people as the most desirable section of the ten in that it is almost entirely residential, except for a small shopping area on either side of Inman Avenue. Located in the northernmost section of the township, Colonia has a large variety of single family homes, including the very upscale "Estate Section", with most homes on minimum 1+ acre lots and many priced at well over the a million dollars. However there are many homes much more reasonably priced with the majority in the $370,000 to $500,000 range.

The school system in Woodbridge ranks very high in the state, and test results and the % of students moving on to 2 and 4 year colleges is very high. While neighboring towns like Metuchen and Edison are seen by some as "higher rated", that is a somewhat subjective judgment and often a topic for debate. There are 3 High schools in the Township, Woodbridge HS, Colonia HS and JF Kennedy (Iselin) that serve the students of the 10 sections of the towmship. Crime is very low in the township, and the Woodbridge Township Police force is highly regarded.

As a 35 year resident of the Colonia section of Woodbridge, I know the area well and have had both my sons educated in the township school system. They both have moved on to successful college achievements and great work careers.

I hope this answer helps anyone thinking of moving to any of the sections of Woodbridge Township.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 24, 2009
Colonia is a great place to live, I have lived in Colonia all my life, and I would not see myself any where else. I graduated from Colonia High School in 1991, the school system is above average but not a blue ribbon school. North Edison does have a blue ribbon school, it is JP Stevens High School. If you were looking to buy a house I would say,you could not lose in either place.
Hello, Niru. I've always liked Colonia.... I used to live there myself. It is part of Woodbridge Township.

Woodbridge, Iselin, Colonia, Avenel are all part of Woodbridge and share municipal services. You get the feel of a small town with the services of a big town.

Colonia has an "estate" section with very pricey homes but most of the town is affordable. Good luck with your home search. Jim
Web Reference: http://www.BuyersLawyer.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 18, 2008
I bought my house at Colonia NJ last year. It is a nice place (Of course, if not, I won't buy my house there.) My son just went to kindergarden. I am not sure how to compare school except information from web. I was comparing the rating and test scores from http://www.greatschools.net.
- Colonia is NOT as good as Princeton or North Edison. Not a top rank town.
- Colonia seems to be a little better than Piscataway or Woodbridge (Colonia is an area inside twp of Woodbridge, there is another woodbridge area in twp of woodbridge).
- South Edision seems to be a little bit than Colonia.

North Edison, South Edison, Piscataway, Colonia, Iselin, Metuchen, Metropark, woodbridge or middlesex are very close to each other. It may worth to look at them all together. (The expensiver place has better school, You can get a house from 300-400k, but it will be a big difference on the size of the house you are getting.)

I am not a realtor, so I can give my personal opinion... Very personal opinion... I can be wrong.
Hi Niru,

I covered the Central NJ where the towns you mentioned are located. As Susan mentioned, by law I can't discuss how safe an area may neither about the school system since these are public information. I can provide you more information about the area by contacting via email at ElizaJacome@AbsoluteERA.com
or by cell 732-690-4673. I will be glad to assist you with your real estate need in CentralNJ.
Colonia is a million dollar house area, many nice houses, and it is right next to Edison, this area is top 3 safest area in New Jersey according to Wikipedia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Quitno

Schools wise, they are very good too. Another town nearby is Piscataway, the schools are very good too, especially they got two blueribbon schools recently. but Piscataway mostly has houses under $650,000, so if that price range is what you are looking for, there are many great ones as you can see ... http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway+stn+ju…
As a realtor we are not allowed by law to discuss how safe an area may or may not be. You can do several searches yourself to check things out. If you visit my website I have an commununity link. Why would you want to move from sunny AZ? I have a second home in the Casa Grande area.I love the weather in AZ. If your heading for NJ hope your ready to have snow and cold temp. I'm trying to get back out to your warm weather. :)
If I can be of any further help to you feel free to contact me.
Susan
Web Reference: http://www.susanachen.com