Home Buying in Connecticut>Question Details

Laurie Manny,  in Long Beach, CA

How are property taxes calculated in Connecticut?

Asked by Laurie Manny, Long Beach, CA Wed May 23, 2007

Answers

7
Connecticut has the distinction of having the highest property taxes in the nation. For more information about CT property taxes,visit the web reference from the CT Conference of Municipalities.
I AM BUYING A HOUSE AT WATERBURY CT AT $149,000. HOW MUCH PROPERTY TAX DO I PAY IN 1 YEAR
Tax rates in CT are set by each town, which collects the taxes and spends the revenues on the local roads, schools, etc. The tax rates are called "mill rates" which is the rate per $1,000 of assessed value. The mill rates in CT vary from under 10 to over 40. The highest mill rates are found in the cities (Hartford, Waterbury, Bridgeport, New Haven, etc.). Annual taxes are therefore (assessed value) x (mill rate) / 1000.

But what makes the annual tax calculation even more difficult is the fact that each town resets its mill rate every 5 years or so, and that the assessed value of each residence is not anywhere near its actual value. Each town has a rough target for its total tax revenues, and if assessments go too high or too low, the town will adjust its mill rate.

Since the annual taxes are a moving target and so difficult to estimate, the taxes (and sometimes the home's assessed value) are usually part of a sale home's listing. For me as a home buyer, the listed annual taxes have been an essential consideration when narrowing my choices.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2008
Are CT property taxes figured on full assessed value or a percentage of the assessed value?
I have the value of a house at 70% but do not know how the property tax is calculated in Morris CT 06763. Can you help with an answer. I would like to know the formular the town uses."The town assessor said the computer does it." Thank you. WalterVingo
If I'm 100% disable thur the Veteran Admin. is my property tax refundable
you do get a break...there several tiers.
Flag Sun Aug 11, 2013
let me know, if you get an answer
Flag Sat Aug 10, 2013
don't know, I hope so. I am 80% and there's no way-
Crazy Ted
Flag Sat Aug 10, 2013
How are they allocating the excessive tax revenues? On education or.....?