Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Maria Manta, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

How I could choose a good real estate agent?

Asked by Maria Manta, Philadelphia, PA Sat Jun 25, 2011

Answers

16
Maria;
Ask someone you know who he/she would recommend.
It's a lot faster and it'll work just fine.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 26, 2011
Maria,

Absolutely the agent should have explicit knowledge of your particular market, and the savvy to develop a custom strategy to fit your circumstances. Furthermore the agent should possess professional depth to anticipate various outcomes before they arrive. Glitter is glitter and while that may make you feel good ... knowledge is savings that you can take to the bank. So choose wisely.

Your agent must be a very good listener while you must be completely forthcoming so your agent can immerse themselves into your vision to serve your best interests, consequently the development of trust is the foundation to an effective outcome.

References are always helpful, while chemistry assures a level of communication that is vital to your interests.

Best wishes...

Charles Balducci 215.531.2000
charlesbalducci@me.com

Coldwell Banker Preferred (Avenue Arts)
1401 Walnut St Eighth Floor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 25, 2011
Dear Maria,
This is my personal opinion:
I like larger firms because they have good legal,high standards, and they have a vested interest in maintaining their reputation. So that narrows down the choices right there.
Then I would look for a company that specalizes in the area I want to purchase in.(down to maybe three now). Make the three calls to the broker in the office, ask them if they work with both buyers and seller. Some offices have a preference. That should get you down to two.
Out of the two offices, ask the broker who he would recommend as a seasoned and ethical agent. Then make arrangements to interview.
Best!
Hi Maria,

Everyone else is on point, the only thing I would like to add, is ask how much business the agent is doing. There's a reason someone is closing 30 houses versus 5, if they are full-time and that will show forth when you go through the home-buying process. Best of luck!

Kristoffer Lehman, ABR
Keller Williams Real Estate
Licensed in PA - #RS299648
Office # 215-646-2900
Cell # 267-254-4755
Fax: 800-686-7534 or 267-419-2974
Email: klehman@kw.com
Web: http://www.KrisLehmanHomes.com
FOCUS + INTENSITY = RESULTS
Referrals are the heart of my business.

A personal referral is the best compliment you can give me. Have friends or family outside PA? I can find them a great agent. Thank you!

Each office is independently owned and operated.
Hi, Maria.

Trulia is a great place to start. You can go up top to "Find a Pro" and then search for real estate agents in the city/area of your choice.

Most agents on here have completed biography, experience, and testimonial sections on their profiles. This is good way to sort through agents based on their resume.

After you have completed your screening, it's a good idea to meet a few in person.

Tim

Timothy Garrity | Realtor & Consultant
215-829-8850 Office
267-879-2716 Mobile
tim@usspaces.com
http://www.phillyurbanliving.com
Hi again Maria,

Like choosing people to work with in any respect, you will want someone who is professional and knowledgeable, but also caring and trustworthy. Whoever you choose, you will be communicating with them very often through the home buying experience, so you will want someone that you can really enjoy working with.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Brian Miller
Real Estate Consultant
REALTOR®

Century 21 Alliance
2378 Trenton Road
Levittown, PA 19056
Office: (215) 547-5550 x465
Cell: (267) 934-8666
Fax: (215) 547-6480
BPMRealEstate@gmail.com
The first rule is to hire a full time agent.

The first rule is to hire a full-time agent.

Now that I said that three times, interview 3 to 5 agents from different firms local to your marketplace. As a buyer I would recommend that you sign a one-day buyers agency agreement for the first one or two times that you go out and view homes with the agent. After you become comfortable with the agent and you have a relationship, you will want to commit to that agent to help you find the home. A good full-time agent will be able to guide you in finding a home that meets your needs, will also be able to recommend the best financing options and people to work with in that field, should also be able to recommend a good home inspector, insurance agent and any other experts you will need to complete the purchase of a home. All agents should be able to get back to in a matter of hours not days to answer your questions. This is very important since contracts have time stipulations. Good luck in your search Scott
Web Reference: http://www.randshomes.com
Google real estate with the namew of your desired neighborhood, see who comes up call or email them and see what the chemistry is like. Then, plan on signing an agency agreement.
Web Reference: http://odonnellre.com
Hello Marie,
I suggest meeting and speaking with a few Realtors.Doing this you will know who you are most comfortable with and which one has the knowledge to make your home ownership dream come true.
I am happy to meet with you.Have 14 years experience and a life_long resident of Philadelphia.Once we meet you will see the difference.
Have referal letters from previous buyers if you wish me to email them to you,let me know.
Hope to meet you,
Don A. Sherman
Remax City& Suburban
6701 Roosevelt Blvd
Phila,Pa19149
Cell 267 716 8228
Well, it helps if you're a good client.

We deal with a wide range of people, and because we're licensed by the state to serve the public (and because it sometimes pays off), we work with people who aren't exactly the easiest or best clients to work for.

But it really does seem as if the very best agents work with the very best clients, and if you want one of the very best agents, then it really helps if you have all of the qualities that you demand of your agent, with the exception of real estate expertise.

If you are honest, trustworthy, trust-ing, able to meet deadlines, willing to accept coaching and eager to learn, and are capable of respect and humility, you can have a really good real estate agent.

A really good agent is all of those things, except that we cannot be entirely trusting - we need to trust, but verify.

All the best, Maria.
Maria. I recommend you meet a few people, get references and be sure that they have experience in the area you are looking for.
Hi Maria,

I am a great agent so you need to look no further. I am reliable, flexible, and patient. I am a full time agent and I can work with almost any schedule. I take my time and help you make a purchase that you'll continue to be happy with. Please contact me if you're interested in my services or just what some honest advice.
To answer your question, you choose someone you believe and believe in. Ask them when would they usually have time for you and make sure it works with your schedule. A nice test question is to ask how many homes do I need to see before I put an offer on a property? Its no right answer but it will give you a feel for your agent's personality.

Yve (Eve) Banks
RE/MAX Specialists
267-975-0372
Tamara Direct: 215-919-1101
Hi Maria...
The goal in finding the right realtor is to 1st find an agent that you can trust. An agent that will walk you through every step of the home buying process from the Pre-approval to Settlement. You want to be sure that you have an agent that listens to your needs and wishes throughout so that you are not wasting time seeing homes that are just not right for you. Lastly, you want an agent that is available at anytime day or night to answer those pressing questions that just can't wait. Just know that i'll work hard to exceed your expectations and provide you, your friends and family with what it is that buyers need the most; Peace of Mind.
Hello Maria,

I agree with Farrah, you will meet the right agent when you know it. There is a certain chemistry involved as well as mutual respect. Finding an agent who works full time vs part time may be advantageous for you as well. Please don't hesitate to reach out to see if we may be a good fit for each other.

Best Regards
Nicole Marcum Rife
484.678.8131
Nicole@RifeRealEstateGroup.com
Maria,
You will know when you meet the right agent. They should meet with you for a buyer's presentation. Questions like location, price and pre approval should be answered at that time.
If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to call.

Farrah Robinson
Keller Williams
215-260-6511 cell