Home Buying in New York>Question Details

HSG, Home Buyer in New York, NY

How Do Buyer's Agents Work in Manhattan?

Asked by HSG, New York, NY Sun Jan 13, 2013

When I bought my house in the suburbs, I worked with a Realtor who specialized in buyers. She was able to show me 99.9 percent of the available listings, even though none of them were actually her listings. When I bought a house, her company split the commission with the listing agent's company. This was the way almost all residential resales are handled in that particular area.

Does it work the same way in Manhattan for condos and co-ops? Do I first line up an agent who can then show me all the listings that pique my interest? Or must I see the agent who lists a particular co-op or condo? I am only interested in resale units, not new buildings.

Answers

3
Yes the same applies to condos/co-ops, therefore work with an agent of your own; if purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 13, 2013
Works the same way in Manhattan unless there is an exclusive agency agreement to sell; which is pretty rare these days. Line up a good buyers agent and you will be just fine. Best of luck in your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 13, 2013
Thank you Anna and Keith. I will be buying all-cash so the mortgage letter will not be needed.