Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

jtroywa, Home Buyer in Scottsdale, AZ

Houses between Thunderbird and Bell / 56str and Scottsdale rd area. From the quality of the construction standpoint what are the best?

Asked by jtroywa, Scottsdale, AZ Sun Nov 4, 2012

looks like there are a bunch of different ones. My quess that brick one-stories are gonna be living longer and are better built vs wood-based ones. I'd appreciate some guidance on this. I consider 3bd , 2bath houses in 200-350K price range. I know it's pretty broad and "it depends" question... but still. maybe I should ask which ones I should avoid if i am investing/renting it out for the next 10-15 years while expecting a good appreciation. thanks a lot.

Answers

10
Phil Griffith’s answer
Trulia has invited me to reply to your question. As a former Homebuilder and long-time realtor, I think I can help you decide. I also know the area you have in your question, and, have sold many, many homes there. I think you can "rest easy". Most all of the homes in those areas have been built by good, reputable Homebuilders. There is no particular difference between a frame home and brick/block home (quality-wise). Of course, having said that, Masonry contractors will argue with me on that statement. I've built both ways. The main reason builders went more toward frame construction 30-40 years ago was availability of wood, cost, designability, and a small amount of better insulation factors. All these years later, if you go through the neighborhoods that have both, the block homes tend to look a bit better, (particularly if they have been maintained, painted regularly, roofs replaced, etc). Bottom line, if you are considering a resale home in this area, make sure you like the neighborhood, number one, and, hopefully your agent can guide you through the process of determining the quality of the home, and how well the owners have maintained it. Good luck!
Phil Griffith, Russ Lyon Sothebys, 480-488-2400.
Renters love the TILE roofs

If the tile roofs are put on correctly they last a loooooong time...

The area you are talking about is one of the most sought out for... (85254 zip)

I am also a propert management company so if you need help in that area also just call.

Karlene
Broker/Owner
A-Aa-1 Realty
602-376-3245 cell
Hi Jon,

Most of thehomes were built after 1970 in that area and some have been as late as around 2000. The olderones seem to be around Tbird and 56-64th St. Some of them are brick but most of the homes built from the mid 1980's and newer are stick built homes with stucco. Both have their advantages. The brick are definitelydurable but the framed have more enery efficiency. The newer homes generally have tile roofs which normally are maintenance free where the older ones mainly have composition shingle roofs which have to be replaced or repaired every so often. Any home you are thinking of buying should be durable for quite a while as long as you do routine maintenance and don't have renters who abuse the home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hi Jtroywa

The area itself has desirability and appreciation is natural just based on location. Then condition of house plays a role as homes are over 30 years old in some cases. You will always be recommended to inspect the home in your due diligence period to make sure your investment is sound. Block construction has benefits for heat and cool retention and termite evasion. Roof trusses and condition is important as well as level of insulation. Single pane windows can be updated and major components need replacement over time. Condition is a final factor.
Work with the experts and take the steps to research and the area you chose will bring you the right choice.
Contact me for a consultation I'm happy to sit down and complete a plan to reach your goal.
Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
I live right in the target area you are talking about. We have everything from older block homes to frame wood stucco and even some that combine both building styles. Older homes typically have single pane windows, shingle roofs and lower ceilings. The newer ones have dual pane windows, more efficient insullation all around, tile roofs and vaulted ceilings. I could show you homes in both styles that are well taken care of that should last for many more years if you continue to invest in routine maintenance. I can also show you homes of both types that are nearing the end of their functional life. The main thing for you to think about is how has this home been maintained in the past, what are my repairs and maintenance costs going to be over the next 5 to 10 years and will it rent for more than my payment. The $200K price range is rapidly going away and it is morphing to $250 and above in the 85254 zip code where I live and work. If I were buying right now I would also look for 3 plus a den or a four bedroom home. So many people need or want a home office today and that extra room can make a world of difference. I manage many rental properties and own quite a few of my own as well. We own a mixture, but the majority are newer frame stucco type. We have some two stories as well and never have an issue finding renters. I look for himes with good roof integrity, newer ac units and quality construction. I avoid having to spend an additional 20 to 30K once I acquire just to get it rented. An investment of $5-8K to get it painted, carpeted, some new appliances is pretty common and is what my wife and I routinely do to properties we acquire. If you decide to buy one with a pool, include pool service in the rent or it will be ruined by your tenant. If you need help from someone that lives in 85254, owns rentals and manages properties as well, I would love to help you. Either way, I wish you the best in your quest.

Howard Rudin
WEST USA Realty
602-390-8088
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hey Troy ( thats a guess !)

If you're thinking of purchasing for the purpose of investment and renting the home out, thats what we specialize in. I can forward you 500 references of satisfied investors if you'd like. We are experts in this process and I invite you to contact me if you'd like to go over all your options.

Jeff Devorkin, Designated Broker
iGoUrban.com
i Go Urban Realty
480.283.5525
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
JTroyWA,

It is good to see that you are interested in my neighborhood. The built, condition and how you maintain a home makes a lot of difference in its durability.

The main thing is to buy the house that best meets your needs. One level is more popular as far as re-sale, not many people love to go up and down the stairs, myself included.

Here is a link you can use to log into my brokerage's website and be on my platform where you can search at your leisure and view all the listings of interest to you:

http://www.ziprealty.com/registration/register_all.jsp?metro…

I'll be greeting you after you log in, if you decide to create an account with us.

Lucia Arbaugh, Associate Broker, Realtor®
Call/Text: 480-452-3938
Email: Lucia.Arbaugh@ZipRealty.com
direct Email: LAsold@cox.net
Fax: 1-866-578-7800
My Profile: http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/larbaugh
Click here to start working with Lucia:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hi Jtroywa,
This is always a consideration... typically we have the 'older homes' as brick/block construction, and quite previlent the area you mentioned. They are often built well, and have a certain 'feel' to them, including larger lots. The newer contructions also have advantages, as they may be more 'green' and enery saving with the newer windows, etc. Either way, it will depend on the property that interests you to see what might be the best/energy efficient/great value. There are many great properties in this area, from total remodels, to fix-uppers. This is a great area to invest as home prices are continuing to rise (they are up nearly 30% from last year). Should you want to invest/purchase, I would be happy to help and provide properties that will suit your needs, including a ROI breakdown for your cash flow investment. All my best, Amy Boenning amy@amyboenning.com 480-221-7040.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
You are right, there is a wide variety of quality in construction, dependent on a number of things. One is the time it was built. Until fairly recently, houses were stick built and many had single pane windows, and were missing many of the energy efficiency that would be incorporated into construction today. Some are block construction, which is arguably better from this standpoint, and many of those have single pane windows too.

You don't mention is this is for your personal residence or an investment. The same issues apply, however if its an investment, the larger electrical bills due to inferior windows and older ac units can cause a turnover in tenants. If its for your own use, I suggest to you that you approach this from the standpoint of getting the very best location you can afford, saving some of your budget to update windows, ac units and insulation. There are even some programs that allow you to roll that into your financing, making it an easier choice!

I love working as a buyers agent, if you are interviewing. Please feel free to contact me. I bring many years of expertise to the table.

Peggy Gascon, PC
Realty ONE Group
Peggy@PeggyGascon.com
602--619-5532
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hi!
Great question. It is so important to consider construction when looking for a home- whether it is your primary residence or investment property. Block construction homes certainly have their advantages. They can retain cool/hot air better- which can lower heating/cooling costs. Also, block homes can be more resistant to termites-which are very prevelant here. Of course, a home inspection and termite inspection prior to purchase is very important.
The area you are thinking about is a wonderful area as well- I say this a bit biased as I live in the area!
If you are thinking of purchasing a rental/investment property- consider area rental rates, cost of maintaining the home, and school district ratings.
If I can be of any assistance to you in your search, please let me know.
Lisa Ramos- Designated Broker of The Property Boutique
lisa@tpbaz.com
480-329-1890
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012