Home Buying in Bristol>Question Details

Ricki_128, Home Buyer in Bristol, CT

House vs. Condo? My fiance and I are trying to weigh the pros and cons between a house & condo, concerning convenience, extra cost, and resale

Asked by Ricki_128, Bristol, CT Sun Dec 4, 2011

values. We are looking in Bristol, CT and surrounding towns.

Answers

6
Well, don't.

Ricki, the best thing about home ownership is that you can create the stage setting for your life - you can create the spaces where you wake up in the morning, eat together and alone, entertain, share with friends and family - that's where the value of home ownership is.

It's not with the form of ownership - house or condo - and it's not about some speculation about future resale value.

Basically, you're letting the analysis take control of you, rather than the other way 'round. Figure out how you want to live - then, figure out what housing style affords you that opportunity within your budget.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Hello Ricki_128: I always like Mack's answers, philosophical and at the same time practical. That said, I would still do a little analysis, as in how the re-sale market is for condos right now. That may help you make your decision because if you do not plan to stay in it very long, then you would want an exit strategy. Good luck in your quest and in your upcoming marriage, too!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Hello Rikki, I think the biggest difference in the House vs. Condo would be the outside maintenance. Most associations take care of snowplowing and mowing in the summer. You will not usually have much privacy in the yard and usually only have a small yard. Depending on your life style, not having to do the exterior maintenance can be a pro or a con. With a house you will have more privacy and not have to abide by any association rules. Usually the taxes on a condo are less expensive then a home, the association fees that you pay could bring the total on the condo close to what the house taxes may be. The best thing to do would be to look at some condos and homes. This may help you decide which is right for you. Michele A. Joyce, Prudential Connecticut Realty
Web Reference: http://micheleajoyce.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
A lot of it is contingent on your lifestyle Ricki and on what your future plans are. Are you planning on a family right away or are you going to wait a while b-4 you have a family? How much of a down payment do you plan on coming to the table with? I do feel tho that a house will have better resale than a condo if it is in the right area. Doris Bachand, Realtor, Country Manor Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
A house vs, condo is really a matter of personal preferences; as for resale values, unfortunately none of us can predict the future, nor do we know where the market will be in the days to come; therefore buy what suits your budget, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc. now....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Congratulations on your decision to purchase your own home. In answer to your question, there are so many ways to answer. I would first need to talk with you to determine what you are looking for in a home. Based on your criterias and price range, I would then be able to tell you, based on what's available in your area, and what you get for the money, and based on the condo fees and what's included, to determine what would be your best option.

There are pros and cons to both scenario, such as condo fees, and what included in them; whether you want to do yard work or have amentities....

Please feel free to call me directly on my cell phone at 860-819-8372. I would be happy to brainstorm various idea, provide you with the information, so that you can decide which one works best for you and your fiance.

My name is Katrina. I look forward to hearing from you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011