Miss, Home Buyer in Huntington, NY

Home sales in Huntington?

Asked by Miss, Huntington, NY Thu Jan 22, 2009

I am very confused with sellers in this area. We have been looking to buy for about a year and keep findingowners who are completely unwilling to negotiate their prices. We've put down 3 different bids (within 10% of asking) and have not even been countered. And these are houses that have been sitting on the market for a ridiculously long time.
Is there a way to find out what homes were recently sold in the Huntington area in relation to their asking prices?

Answers

4
Hello Miss, there are some sellers out there who are not motivated to sell unless they get their price. But not very many. I would suggest getting an agent seperate from the agent that listed the home to help with negotiations. This is something the agent will need to be convinced that they should give you the home at your price. Another thing you can get are the comparables of recent home sales in that area. This will help you see what any appraiser is looking at. They will need to adjust their price anyway if the other homes are selling for less. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

-Cheryl Supplee
Hi Miss,

Homes in our area (Huntington) are selling wihtin 1-5% of their asking price. When a home is priced well, it usually sells pretty close to the asking price. if it is not priced well, it just sits on the market.

As the market depreciates, these owners are chasing the market down. If the market falls 5% in 6months and they lower their price 5%, they are in the exact same position they were 6 months before.

Nevertheless it is a great time to buy and their are great deals out there. Interest rates are incredibly low !!

Cori Kaplan
631-944-8829
You might want to work with a buyers agent. A sellers agent can't really give you the information you need to place a good starting bid (they have to recommend full price or above). If a home is priced correctly, they will get close to the asking price.

A buyers agent can negotiate on your behalf. Look for ABR (Acredited Buyers Representative) or CBR (Certified Buyers Representative) designation for an agent trained in buyers representation.
I am very sorry to hear what you gone thru. I will be very happy to help you. If you like please send me your email address and I will send you the information. Thanks.