Home Buying in Alviso>Question Details

Kevin, Real Estate Pro in San Jose, CA

Home or vacant land in Alviso

Asked by Kevin, San Jose, CA Fri Aug 19, 2011

I am looking for an affordable home in good commute location. I fiound Alviso is centrally located but some different opinions discussed over the Internet. What do you think about Alviso? I have options to buy existing home or find a vacant land to build my dream home.

Answers

5
New homes must follow the Alviso Master plan which does not allow for living on the ground floor. 2nd floor must be 9 feet above ground. Lot can be padded up. I have a copy of the master plan in my office. The city has grandiose plans for the Alviso waterfront which may or may not come to pass in my lifetime. If you would like to to see the plan, please give me a call. San Jose permit process is more expensive than it needs to be.

There is a newer development of town homes. Otherwise the homes tend to be old in less than stellar shape.

Mitchell Pearce 408-639-0211
mitchell@handsonrealtor.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 19, 2011
Hi Huskers,
Both options buying existing homes and building new homes are good except one takes more time than the other. With home price being low, I thought buying existing homes would be an easier choice. If you tell me your requirements and budget, maybe I can help. Feel free to email or call me.
Good luck to you,

Kevin Vo
408-228-2161
kevinvohomes@yahoo.com
Start out by charting what you would like to see ultimately. What are your values? Some good questions:
How long do you plan to live there?
Are schools important to you? Or is a good quality of the schools something you would like to have for future resale value?
How flexible or friendly is the city for the planning and building process?
What is the ground like? Is the parcel in a liquifaction zone (Willow Glen, parts of Alviso) where the ground is softer and foundations slip more readily? Is it in a flood or landslide zone?
What is the average price of a home sold and will my building and land costs exceed it (will I go in with equity)?

If you are only focused on commute, that simplifies things considerably.

Many builders choose to do a "one wall standing remodel" where they find a home that needs an overhaul and remodel away. This takes a chunk off of the price!

One of my favorite builders is Joseph Wetzel, "WetCon" construction.

Let me know if you would like more information about Joe or your home search.

Erica Glessing Nelson
DRE 01425475
http://www.HomesforSaleinSanJose.com
408-416-7090

Alviso has improved its image over the years. You can definitely get a great deal and feel secure that the flooding issues have been resolved. Please call me to preview some or all of the possibilities.

Roxanne
Alviso in the past had issues with flooding. You will want to do research to see if your will be required to have flood insurance and what issues you may have with building.

There are several websites for you to do some research, depending on what is important to you in where you will live. Schools? Crime? Services? etc.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com