Newmnbuyer, Home Buyer in 55446

Home located in a low-lying area with neighbors at higher elevation. Builder has lot grading survey. Concerned about future water issues. Pl. advise?

Asked by Newmnbuyer, 55446 Sun Aug 14, 2011

Answers

6
Hello NewmnBuyer,
The fact you are asking the question indicates you see the potential problem. You do not need a chorus of other voices to confirm what you already see as a problem. If there is no ability to redirect water to an even lower location you can begin to understand why this lot may or should be priced lower in equivalent units.

Below grade properties require constant vigilance in maintainence and awareness of what is taking place above you. A significant increase in impervious surfaces above can be bad news for those in low-lying areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 15, 2011
Hi, Newmnbuyer!
I suppose you've already got the answer you need by now. But, it's always a good idea to see the evidence the builder has that this location is not going to pose water problems. They will have test results of the soil and so forth.

Failing that, if the deal is really good, you could always invest in having your own tests done if the builder will allow it. That way, you've got results independent of what the builder is providing.

Let us know how this turned out for you!!
If it is available, ask for a copy of the perc tests to see how fast water infiltrates into the ground in the area. If there are grading issues and and water seeps into the land very slowly there is a high potential for standing water after a heavy rain. Good Luck!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percolation_test

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Broker
Web Reference: http://www.CamPiper.com
Are you working with a Realtor? If not, you should find one, and use their expertise to help you find a home. Good luck.
Again, with this being your second question that you have posted about an individual property, I think that you should take the time to define your needs and concerns BEFORE you evaluate the "fit" of a specific property to your needs.
It sounds like you do have some valid concerns, but if you are just looking for advice before you pick a specific lot with a builder in this area, I would ALWAYS recommend that you hire a buyer's agent to represent you in that purchase, rather than just working directly with the builder. Keep in mind that the services of a professional buyer's agent do not actually cost you anything. Builder reps will try to convince you that they are giving you a "special deal" or a "discount" if you work directly with them, but our statistics show that an unrepresented buyer of new construction will usually end up with a much worse deal than the ones that have a buyer's agent represent them in that same development. ( and I only use the word "usually" because I could never provide the legal proof that it's more common than that)
Now, I am not soliciting you to use ME, but please find a buyer's rep that you feel is skilled and reputable, and then go out and make a great deal happen.
If grading issues are not addressed could become a problem. It depends on your comfort in addressing these issues and then moving forward. If this seems like to much to take on, I would advise to keep looking.
Web Reference: http://www.funkyhuts.com