rssraj, Home Buyer in 11375

Home inspection

Asked by rssraj, 11375 Wed Jul 18, 2012

Folks - I'm buying a single family home in queens, ny. Which are the typical tests most people perform in this part of town? I'm getting conflicting advice from inspectors, brokers, etc. I want to perform the basic tests like termite but don't want to perform all testing, especially if historically, there has been no problem associated with that testing

Thank you

Answers

6
If you are going to do a rehab loan you can have several contractors come in and give you estimates. You could foreward the report to contractors but I'm not sure if it will be exact enough for them to give you accurate estimates. You could also ask your agent if the home owners would allow you to have a contractor visit the home with you and your agent, for the purpose of giving you an estimate. If you haven't considered a rehab loan it may be a good way for you to go as the cost or repaires will be built into the mortgage. Good luck!
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
Determining the cost of repairs is always tricky. A seller will always think you are too high regardless of the number. I would speak to your agent on the issue and come up with a plan. Ensure your are not trying to nickel and dime a seller for every little repair - older homes will always need something. I would focus on the health risks and the big ticket items. Once, you have a list, then you can take the lead from your agent, who has probably been in this situation many times before, in terms of making estimate calls or finding repair costs from contractors. You can either go back and request repairs from the seller or seek to renegotiate the price down based on repairs.
Great advice guys. I do have a good inspector contact but he stated that he would not be able to help me with 'cost of repairs'. How do I determine cost of repairs for fixing this to help me with the negotiations. Can I just show the inspection report to a contractor?

You are right to be skeptical. However when getting a home inspected you do want a thourough inspection. Mold will be found in many houses, it will cost extra to get it tested and it usually comes back negative; but do you want to take a chance with your family's health? I personally would rather pay more now and sleep better later.

My best advice is to google any inspectors you are thinking of using. You want an inspector who has plenty of good reviews. I've found some inspectors to be so non-commital on everything that I didn't feel the inspections were worth a dime. Other inspectors I thought did a fantastic job of explaining and putting in perspective every little finding. Considering the cost of the home, paying a little more now and not receiving any nasty surprises later might be worth the extra cost.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
On a single family home, a reputable home inspector will advise a licensed termite specialist to inspect after he does. Both should run between $400-$500 complete for a basic comprehensive inspection. Now if you have mold, absestos, etc. take the inspectors direction. If you need reputable professionals in the area call my office.

George Dakis, Broker/Owner
DakisHomes 4U Realty, LLC
888-754-9332 Office/Fax
917-696-5261 Mobile
Web: http://www.DakisHomes4U.com
Email: info@DakisHomes4U.com
Rssraj,
Past history is no guarantee of future results. We hear this all the time from Wall Street and other investment pitches; it's just as true here. The fact that you don't test for one issue may allow that one to take a deeper hold to the property you select and do unknown damage into the future.
My advice is to hire the best inspector(s) and agent available and listen to their advice. Inspections up front are cheap compared to the repairs that may result from neglecting them. I can't tell you how many clients feel the inspection money was the best investment they made, even on houses they didn't buy because of the outcome of the inspection. Best of luck however you proceed; just don't be penny wise and pound foolish.