Home Buying in Shrewsbury>Question Details

tiger2tuf, Home Buyer in Marlborough, MA

Home Value Comparison: Northborough vs. Shrewsbury

Asked by tiger2tuf, Marlborough, MA Sat Jun 16, 2012

From my understanding of home values in the region, prices of comparable homes in Northborough/Westborough run a little higher than the surrounding communities. I am looking at buying a small ranch in Northborough, where there are unfortunately very few comparable homes that sold within the last few years. Since there are a number of small ranches that have sold in Shrewsbury recently, I have been trying to quantify the premium that a Buyer pays for a home in Northborough versus Shrewsbury. From looking at sold properties on MLS and well as pre 2011 sales records, it appears the premium in regard to sales per sq ft. is in the 5 to 10% range. Does this sound correct? Why is there such a premium?

Northboro has always had that premium, as has Wesboro and Northboro. To some it was because of being closer to Boston. In other cases it was the lot sizes. There was a time many years ago that the schools were better, but that's no longer the case.

The bigger issue with Northboro has been the high taxes, and the fact that many houses don't have town sewer. Because of the tax rate, you not only pay the extra 20k for the home, but also another $100-200 possibly each month in taxes, which is the equivalent of having paid yet another $30K for the home.

Why Northboro?

Steve Levine
REMAX Prestige
For some awesome tips on local real estate, click the link below for a free video.