Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Elvin, Home Owner in San Diego, CA

Home Expansion Prices

Asked by Elvin, San Diego, CA Mon Feb 17, 2014

Hi, I am planning on expanding my 926 SF home by 400 SF. Within this SF i plan on adding a hallway with a new master bed and bathroom. My home in Lemon Grove/Encantas area of San Diego. Are there any experts that can provide me the rough price per SF to complete a project like this? also, how big would it affect my property taxes. I am only in the brainstorming stage and it is imperative to get a rough estimate before i even begin to look for a contractor, as i plan on saving for the money rather than getting a loan. Please help. Thanks!

Answers

2
$200 to $350 a square foot depending on how fancy you make it. I'd be happy to refer a contractor to you. When it comes to value, compare your home to other homes in the area of the same size when it is finished. I'd be happy to send that information to you as well. As far as property taxes, you will get re-assessed, but it shouldn't be that bad as the tax assessor will also go off of the values of nearby homes....J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
(619) 929-0105
RealEstate@JRThrasher.com
Hi Elvin, Our company works with a lot of remodels and new construction. Our answer is "it depends". 1. It depends on the level of amenities you want in your new bedroom and bath (tile type, sinks, faucets, shower, etc) 2. It depends on the current construct of your home A. The location of plumbing and electrical and what needs to be done to existing utilities to add on. B. What needs to be done to add to your existing roof configuration C. What engineering work needs to be done to add to the existing floor configuration (slab, crawl space. etc) 3. It depends on the level of plans needed by the city to attain the permits Our advice is to contact 3 general contractors in your area, sit down with them and discuss the items above plus what ever else they say is needed to have it be up to code. You will want to get clear on flooring, types of tile, types of sinks, faucets, shower floor, tile and heads, lighting fixtures, etc. All of these items effect cost per square foot. As for your tax bill, when you are finished you want to contact the County Tax Assessors office to get the new square footage of the home on the tax record. Ask in advance how it will effect your tax basis. You want the new square footage on the record for when you go to sell the home. Nothing worse than your home being 1,350 square feet and tax record showing 926. An appraiser usually goes off the tax record and the home would then appraise of the 926 sf size. We hope this helps, let us know if you have any further questions. Regards, Mark & Kari Shea Shea Real Estate National Association of Realtors CA BRE License 01713506 http://www.shea-realestate.com