Home Buying in Hingham>Question Details

Roxane, Home Buyer in Knoxville, TN

Hingham commute a consideration for home purchase

Asked by Roxane, Knoxville, TN Sat Jun 13, 2009

What is a realistic commute time (via car) from downtown Hingham to East Cambridge and vice versa at rush hour and off peak times? Also how about via the commuter rail and the Red line?

Answers

6
The commute is about an hour during rush hour but 20-30 minutes normal times. This is fairly normal for Boston suburbs.

Here is everything on the market in Hingham:
http://www.territoryre.com/idx/search.html?search=true&s…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 14, 2009
Roxane, I live in Marshfield, (south of Hingham) and I travel the route into Boston during rush hour frequently. I'd say on average that you would have an hour communte to Cambridge...if you have two or more in the car you can use the HOV lane which might speed things up. Additionally, you have the train to South Station and the commuter boat. Hingham give you some great commuter options.

Dick
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 13, 2009
People who travel to Cambridge can expect a peak hour commute that could be 45 minutes by car, commuting by boat is simply the most enjoyable experience, in 30 minutes you can choose from coffee & muffins in the morning, beer on the way home if you wish. On a friday night, sitting outside and taking a boat ride home sure beats taking other forms... The T is close in braintree and Quincy, and our commuter Rail leaves in downtown Hingham. So, there are many options, it is a great town, harbor schools. Give me a call if you are interested in looking!
I take the ferry occasionally, my wife frequently. You'd have to have a good reason (fear of whales??) not to take the ferry, it's a 30-40 minute ride and drops you downtown at Rows Warf. No traffic. Many people from Hingham and nearby towns use the Hull or Hingham ferry.
I live in Hingham. The commute time is approximately 40 minutes, my daughter works in Cambridge. Red Line from Quincy will take you about the same time depending on traffic and parking. Call anytime I live in Hingham 781-385-9045
But how about public transit times - the train, boat? I know you can track it on the web but an answer from people who actually do it would be ideal. Thank you!